fall colours

Raf

can anyone give me an idea of what they are like in the haliburton area? i have a feeling the big blows we had in the last week blew everything off the trees by now.. what a short fall colour season.

Hey Raf, I believe I saw on the news that areas from about North Bay south to the GTA were at about 80% as of last weekend. They suggested that southern Ontario may be your last chance to enjoy a large number of trees still holding coloured leaves.

HH

Here's a link to the Weather Network's Fall colour site....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fallcolour/on

Here's a little excerpt...

The Parry Sound region across to Muskoka sees the fall colour season winding down with close to 50% leaf fall. There are some small areas of bright red, yellow and orange remaining. Views from the observation decks at the fire tower lookouts at Parry Sound and Dorset are outstanding in the fall, along with the Lion’s Lookout in Huntsville.

The Haliburton area has the colour now past peak with about 40% leaf fall in the area. Buttermilk Falls, along Highway 35, north of Minden is an excellent viewing location during the fall colour season. The Kawartha Lakes region is reporting about 75% leaf fall. There are still some areas of muted yellow and orange remaining.

The Barrie, Orillia, Midland and across to Wasaga Beach area is showing the remaining colours generally dull with about 40% leaf fall. The Horseshoe Valley region, north east of Barrie is still offering some small pockets of colour.

The Collingwood area offers some ideal fall colour viewing locations especially around the Scenic Caves. The area is reporting the remaining colour generally dull at this time with 25% leaf fall. The view from the suspension bridge at Scenic Caves, at the top of Blue Mountain, is always incredible but especially nice during the fall.

Took a drive up to Bala today, up the 400 on one side across and then down 11 on the other side. Seems anything north of the Gravenhurst area is past the prime, a little more south and it's still nice. Now for some apple/cranberry crunch & icecream.

Edited by Fisherman

In the sudbury area, most reds are done, still got lots of yellow and some orange. Lots of trees have lost there leaves and if we get the rain they're calling for, it will remove a lot more leaves. Still makes for some nice colors right now.