Thinking of selling the boat/Truck

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

And upgrading to a better one so I can give a try at tournaments next year. I have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder in great condition. Less than 200,000k. Only been trailering for about 50,000.

And I have a 2000-2001 Boat I believe with a newer Yamaha engine,Maybe 2001-2002. No leaks, everything runs tip top shape. Comes with trolling motor with pedal, fish finder, dol-fin,trailer guides, galvanized solid trailer, 2 gas tanks, 2 oars, 2 life jackets, anchor, drift sock, ect...

What do you think I can get for the boat and for the truck?

Well first off,im glad you are stepping up to the tournament gang. :clapping: ..i wish you all the luck,so on to the selling of the truck & boat,we need to know the specifics,and a few pics for sure,...and if there is no takers here on the board you can put the boat in the boat trader & the truck in the truck trader,and i think if you do that you get a pretty good discount for seeling both in the traders....hey maybe cliff & carol will be interested in your boat,send them a PM...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hi Johnny

As a guy who has been in the tournament scene for a few years now I would recommend the following for anyone thinking of giving it a try.

First off. Don't shoot the moon.

What that means is pick a tournament series that targets lakes you know. Don't enter the big league just yet... try the under 115hp league. The money is a bit less for the entry and the prizes but you will be up against far fewer pros.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading the boat just yet either. Many guys do well in the under 115hp league with everyday boats. Don't be in a big hurry to spend a ton of money on something that you may or may not really want to do.

Personally I took a swing at tournaments. It was a steep learning curve and I didn't fair that well. I had fun and learned a lot but it cost me also. I should have been trying to fish tournaments much younger than I did. I started in my late forties and it was tough on me fishing a full eight hours and then adding on another three or four hours of trailering the boat to and from tournaments and getting the thing ready for a meet.

I guess what I am trying to relay to you is to take small steps towards this goal of yours. Go fish a ProAm event. They will team you up with a pro and you will see what it is like. Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

Probably the toughest thing about Tournament fishing is finding and building a relationship with a partner. I didn't have a full-time partner going in and got paired with a couple of people that were hard to connect with and thus we didn't do that well. Having a partner is ultimate. I have seen many good teams do well because they got along great and supported and complimented each other on and off the water.

I am faced with the decision next year of wether I will continue on fishing tournaments or go back to just knocking around on weekends in the boat. As long as I am fishing... who cares. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

I started in my late forties and it was tough on me fishing a full eight hours and then adding on another three or four hours of trailering the boat to and from tournaments and getting the thing ready for a meet.

I wish I had started when I was younger aswell SW. I started in my early forties ,but am having a blast. StarTing out in the pro/ams is what I did. The old CFT one. Met some great people and learned a ton.

Johnny can fish the green fish,I hope you do well Johnny.

Guest Johnny Bass
Hi Johnny

As a guy who has been in the tournament scene for a few years now I would recommend the following for anyone thinking of giving it a try.

First off. Don't shoot the moon.

What that means is pick a tournament series that targets lakes you know. Don't enter the big league just yet... try the under 115hp league. The money is a bit less for the entry and the prizes but you will be up against far fewer pros.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading the boat just yet either. Many guys do well in the under 115hp league with everyday boats. Don't be in a big hurry to spend a ton of money on something that you may or may not really want to do.

Personally I took a swing at tournaments. It was a steep learning curve and I didn't fair that well. I had fun and learned a lot but it cost me also. I should have been trying to fish tournaments much younger than I did. I started in my late forties and it was tough on me fishing a full eight hours and then adding on another three or four hours of trailering the boat to and from tournaments and getting the thing ready for a meet.

I guess what I am trying to relay to you is to take small steps towards this goal of yours. Go fish a ProAm event. They will team you up with a pro and you will see what it is like. Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

Probably the toughest thing about Tournament fishing is finding and building a relationship with a partner. I didn't have a full-time partner going in and got paired with a couple of people that were hard to connect with and thus we didn't do that well. Having a partner is ultimate. I have seen many good teams do well because they got along great and supported and complimented each other on and off the water.

I am faced with the decision next year of wether I will continue on fishing tournaments or go back to just knocking around on weekends in the boat. As long as I am fishing... who cares. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

Thanks for the heads up, but I am not planning to go pro just yet.lol I'm gonna start at the bottom. I have just recently got back into bass fishing so I still have to get back into the grove. I've been chasing pike for 7 years!

I have made arrangements to join a fishing club which will also have tournaments next year.

This boat is everything I asked for and more, but want something that handles larger water better. I want a four stroke, I want a slightly larger engine, I want a Lowrance with GPS, which will be handy when I start prefishing. I want a larger boat because with my tackle and my buddies tackle, there is hardly any room to move.

Just seeing what I can get for it. If it is reasonable, sell. If not, I will keep it for a few more years and then sell.

I havent fished for a few weeks now but gonna take it out a few more times and then store it for the winter.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Brian. :)

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Do you think $7,000 is too high for the boat and $3000 for the Truck? How about if I autograph the boat?Johnny Bass was here? Might be worth something some day. :D

I was thinking the same thing about the shirt :lol::lol:

Johnny can you post some pics of the boat? Get lots of different angles and show the live well,bow mount,take the cowling off the motor show that and maybe you can get a good honest answer. Hell I tell you what I would pay for it.Oh and the make of the boat and maybe a shot if you can of the bottom of the boat.

Johnny wearing a tourney shirt,the world will end. :P:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by misfish

Guest Johnny Bass

Shirts? You have to wear shirts in tournaments?? :dunno: lol

Here she is.

2001Alumicraft1640.jpg

The live well is long and skinny and can fit fish up to 42 inches.

There is a side compartment for your rods, but I never use it. 1 compartment for the trolling motor battery and it fits a few other things like safety kit and spare parts. And 1 compartment for the Anchor, Drift sock, rope and my rain gear.

Great boat, power trim, handles waves well. Oh and new trailer tires as well.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Johnny, that's a perfect boat to fish the 115 and unders in. Just get a good fish finder/GPS unit like the Humminbird 787c and you'll be set. That and a good strong trolling motor and you'll be fine.

Good Luck with it.

JP

Guest Johnny Bass
Johnny, that's a perfect boat to fish the 115 and unders in. Just get a good fish finder/GPS unit like the Humminbird 787c and you'll be set. That and a good strong trolling motor and you'll be fine.

Good Luck with it.

JP

Its only a 40 h.p and a 4 stroke would be more economical. I dont like hummingbird although I have heard good things about their new colour monitors. I want a lowrance. My trolling motor is a minkota 55 lb thrust and it does the job for sure.

How much more miles and hour does a 115 h.p do? I'd assume at least double the speed so cover double the water in double the time. And probably probably burn double the gas if it is an older model....

If I dont get a decent price for it, I will definately keep it. And try the 115 and under next year.Cant wait!!!:)

Thanks!

Hey Johnny,

Just a question for you. What's the max. hp rating on your boat? If the boat will allow for more hp maybe just upgrade

your outboard. The 115's are a great place to start.There's a bunch of boats like yours that fish that series.Well good luck with your upgrading and welcome to the tourney scene!! Marcel

Guest Johnny Bass
Hey Johnny,

Just a question for you. What's the max. hp rating on your boat? If the boat will allow for more hp maybe just upgrade

your outboard. The 115's are a great place to start.There's a bunch of boats like yours that fish that series.Well good luck with your upgrading and welcome to the tourney scene!! Marcel

Ya but there is so much more I need. I don't think I can fish a Simcoe tournament if the weather is bad in a 16 fter. Plus my live well is designed more for pike and walleye than bass, which was exactly what I was looking for when I got it. I dont know if my livewell can keep 5 big bass alive at once(never keep any).

There are so many upgrades I want and it would be more convinient to buy a used one fully loaded already with everything I need for a great price($15-$20,000), which I see in the papers all the time.

Thanks!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass
.Check out the CSFL site John.

BM100,S.

You dont see Simcoe on it. Theres a reason. Size of boats in that series.

Thanks. Will definately check it out!