Ling, Burbot, Eelpout, Poor Man's Lobster

mooseroo

That's just a few of the names for this fish. I caught a show about Burbot fishing out in Manitoba/Sask on WFN this week and I've read that their populations are recovering throughout the Great Lakes (after the lamprey introduction crashed them).

Has anybody caught these in/around Toronto recently? They look like a fun species to try out. If so, what were you using and what time of year were you out?

It'd be great to learn a bit more about one of our local but elusive fish!

Apparently if you cube and boil the meat and dip the cubes in melted butter it's like lobster.

correct me if i'm wrong anybody but I believe Ling are the only freshwater specie of fish that spawns below the ice....therfore winter is the best time to chase them. I've had best luck with frozen smelt laying right on the bottom through the ice.....this however was up in Northern Ontario so I'll let some of the TO natives chime in with their local advice.

They are an excellent tasting fish. Ling, called "lotte" here are generally caught at night, through the ice in relatively deep water.

ps. ANYTHING boiled and cubed and dropped in garlic butter will taste like lobster. :-)

Not sure I'd want to try eating a Great Lakes Ling Cod, but any I've eaten from Lake Simcoe and North have been great. Cleaning them is just like cleaning catfish. Nail the head to something belly down, cut all the way around the head, and peel the skin off with a set of pliers. Nice fillets from either side of the back bone.

Best bait I've found for them is salted minnows, on a 3 way spreader, right on bottom. Chum with more Salties and you'll be busy all night long. They are REALLY slimy though. The floor of my ice hut was pretty gross by morning, not to mention my clothes. Not something you want to do with someone who is grossed out by slime. If you drink enough, by morning they almost look pretty. Almost.

Hookset.

Well i know we have caught them while ice fishing on frenchmans bay in pickering,and we have caught them during the day but mostly right around night time.....and some years where we fish up around the bancroft area we catch them after dark while ice fishing...as well on tip-ups,but you would have to check the guide to eating sportfish in ontario to see if they are safe to eat around the great lakes ares & watersheds...but yes they are very tasty. :clapping::w00t: ...good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: