Winterizing mobile trailer

holdfast

I have a mobile 3 hours North of here and I'm worried about frozen pipes etc. I may visit twice a month so I don't want to permanently winterize. I'm thinking of leaving the furnace on say 65 F with the cupboards open. I'm thinking of turning the main water faucet off under the trailer each time I depart and then on when I return. Do I leave other faucets on, outside/inside and should I do anything with the water heater. Any suggestions. All I know is that the water pipes run along the floor wall from water heater to sink. Thanks

The water lines should be blown out with compressed air, OR filled with RV antifreeze...At least thats whats done when trailers are winterized, if the heat is on its possible you'll be OK...Might want to verify this with a trailer dealer or Park owner...

Edited by Pigeontroller

Do a full winterization - or you'll be re-doing your interior in the spring from the flood. I do mine every year and it takes less then a hour. your furnace will not maintain the temperature and what happens when you run out of propane.

Don

Holdfast,

If it was me, I would definitely winterize the water system. Shut off the main tap, open ALL the faucets, and drain everything to the lowest point in the piping. Next, hook up a compressed air supply and pressurize the piping to about 50 to 75 psi. Now quickly open and close all the taps individually to blow out any remaining water. A quick release will be best to entrain any water. If you just open the taps and leave them that way, the air will blow over the trapped water once a path is clear.

Once this is done, I would pump in RV antifreeze and open each tap individually until you have antifreeze flowing from each tap. Remember to do teh toilet and pour some antifreze into all the traps.

It might seem like ovekill, but this has worked for me for amany years. No problems come spring.

If this is a trailer, most of them are not insulated properly for winter use. You could end up with condensation forming on the inside of the walls and then freezing. Also, most of the windows are single pane and this makes them very costly to heat.

I would recommend winterizing the water system, and if you do want to use it over the winter, just turn on the heat for the time you are there and find other toilet facilities and a means to wash up.

If this is in Sask., I would think the winters are more severe than here anyways?

Good luck!

if you don't have a strip heater on the water line coming in from outside it will freeze. It doesn't matter what happens on the inside if the line freezes part way through your wall...

Spend the money and time and do as the others suggested with the non-toxic antifreeze. You can always redo it a couple times over the winter.

Your asking for trouble....winterize the trailer and bring water and a portable john with you when you go up in winter and don't put water down your drains just pitch it outside. Bring the john home and drain it there. Used to do it for years when we lived in Acton and had a trailer in Port Franks and once you get the routine down it's no big thing.

Agree with all the above. I've been doing this for 10 years...winterize..no way around it...if you don't you will pay in the spring...Rattletrap2 explained winterization to a tee.

We go up after winterization and we bring our water.