Orillia "Fall Challenge" bass tourny.....

Slayingm

First off I want to thank Brian for the excellent report and moreover congrats to him and Ryan on finishing in the top 1/2 of the pack under some extremely tough fishing conditions.... the smiles says it all...WTG!! :thumbsup_anim: A big congrats also to Mark Kulik for his strong 6th place finish. Mark is one of the most consistent anglers in the pro circuits and always seems to be in the money regardless of the different lakes and fishing conditions. :clapping:

Since Brian already detailed the weather conditions over the 2-days I don't have to mention the extremes we fished in. I would also like to appologize for the lack of reports recently but have just not had time and can barely keep ontop of e-mails.... I have been extremely busy guiding averaging about 5 days on the water per week the past 2-3 months... when I get some cycles I will post a couple of reports along with some awesome pics.

I was fortunate going into the event in that George and I were able to get 4 solid days of prefishing in and on 2 of those days we both brought our boats up. That allowed us to cover a ton of water and presentations and refine patterns and spots holding better then average sized fish. Also, because I have learned over the years not to right off a good looking spot just because we did'nt get bit the first time we hit it.... I will always go back at a different time of the day and hit it a 2nd or 3rd time. Case in point I remember winning a event of Simcoe a couple years ago and when hitting one of my key spots twice in the morning without a bite we tryed it one last time after lunch and it was loaded with 4-5lb smallies.... timing is everything! The other tip I will offer is that when you are onto fish 1st thing in the morning when the bite is best... fish fast and hard. This was really key for us as both days we had our limit with 15lbs in the box by 7:45am (7:00 am was the blast off). Things really slowed down after that and so did our presentations. We also narrowed down our spots to 5 keys locations that we worked over the 2-days and did not waste anytime other then racing to the next spot and fishing right away. Our top day one weight of 18.48lbs was all taken on a combination of drop-shots, dragging and popping tube jigs and working various hard-bodied jerkbaits. Winning the Performance bonus bucks for the top day 1 weight we joked heading home it would be really cool if we could do it again tommorrow as it was a special day for me. Day 2 we dropped 2 of our spots working only 3 hard all day. With the winds down it was so much easier to cast with precision and thoroughly work the area's. We only got about 9 bites all day but they were all quality fish with our smallest (3.2lb LM) being culled out at the end of the day with a 3.5lb Smallie. Our 5 fish limit of SM came in on the scales at 18.36lbs just ounzes behind yesterday's weight giving us a decisive win and the best Birthday gift I could have asked for! :thumbsup_anim: Other notes.... we did not loose any big fish over the w/e... we caught 9 northerns over the 2 days including a 14 and 12lb fish and I also got a 6.5lb Walleye on the previous Tues! Couch has some nice Pike in it... here is a pic of a client holding one up the week before....

000_0346.jpg

I break a smile when our day 2 weight hits the scales:

Couchd2-5.jpg

A couple of the typical 3.75lb fish we had... all clones.

000_0354-5.jpg

Take care guys and good fish'n....Greg.

Thanks alot Greg.Means alot coming from guys like you and Mark.

Great write up aswell.I will take from that some very good info.Thanks for sharing.

You fishing the BPS event?

Im looking forward to getting into a couple of those 7+ out there.

Again thanks for the praise.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellant report Greg! You seem to know where the big ones live and know how to catch em!! 14 lb pike on Couch? I thought big pike were extinct on Simcoe and couch but I guess not! Will give it a go in a few weeks.

Again congrats on the well deserved win.

Thanks alot Greg.Means alot coming from guys like you and Mark.

Great write up aswell.I will take from that some very good info.Thanks for sharing.

You fishing the BPS event?

Im looking forward to getting into a couple of those 7+ out there.

Again thanks for the praise.

Thanks all.... appreciate it.

Brian, yes I'm fishing the BPS Open Oct 27th... should be fun going for a 6lb average and breaking the 30lb mark..... good luck to you and see you out there.

Johnnybass:...ya still lots of Pike out there.... had a few others follow that I was able to pull the bait away from before they hit....try working some spinnerbaits and jerkbaits for then off the deeper edges of the weedlines and hang on!!!!.....Greg.