What type of net

stuntman

Yeah, this is kinda a dumb question. I am unable to use the search function for other threads on this because the search terms are too broad, so please bear with me:

I need a net. A long handled net for fishing salmon and trout off of the southern Ontario piers; Oshawa, Port Hope etc. and I dont know:

-Most nets have 48" handles and that seems to short to me. how long the handle should be?

-How small is too small for the net opening?

It would really stink catching a fish with only a useless net to bring it up with.

Any help?

Stuntman

Edited by stuntman

What you're looking for is a Beckman's Fish Pen Landing Net.

This sucker is big enough to land a steer! The bottom is flat, so it forms a pen. You can take your time finding your tools and unhook your toothy critter in the water and release it with minimum stress..

Garry2r's

What you're looking for is a Beckman's Fish Pen Landing Net.

This sucker is big enough to land a steer! The bottom is flat, so it forms a pen. You can take your time finding your tools and unhook your toothy critter in the water and release it with minimum stress..

Garry2r's

That sounds interesting - any idea how much and where one would find one?

Don

Yes, the brand is important, from personal experience, stay away from the Frabil junk. I have the ex large one from Ranger, it has the 8' telescoping handle that slides down to 4' inside the hoop of the net.

I use a Frabill Kwik Kradle for muskie, a fine net bottom, excellent construction, and certainly not cheap.

My walleye net is a Frabill Tru-trax with an 8' handle and powerlock system.

They'll both last me my lifetime for sure.