New Jersey surf report

ecxstriper

Holiday weekends provide me much need fishing time as I work 6 days a week. I decided to head down to Sandy Hook to do three days of surf fishing. It is not far about an hour drive. I went down Saturday night to fish the incoming tide for Blues and Strippers action was slow but steady caught several Sea robins and two Blues, forgot camera phone in the truck sorry.180px-Wpdms_usgs_photo_sandy_hook.jpg

Sunday I went down to late again to fish over night with a night pass (Sandy Hook is a national park and closes at sundown) but the park service cancelled night passes for Sunday night. I was able to fish for 3 hrs but only had one hit.

Monday I got up at 5:00 am Low Tide was at 6:49 am and I want to be on the Beach fishing before the tide switched to incoming. Incoming tide in most places is better fishing the tide brings baitfish close to the beach. Stopped off at my favorite bait shop for squid strips, finger mullet, clams and peanut bunker. The weather was great sunny and warm prefect with an on shore breeze. The beach was crowded but not to bad I only had to walk about ¾ mile to find a spot to set up .New Jersey allows anglers to fish as many rods as they want so when surf fishing I use 3 rods with bait and keep a 4th rod with a plug or spoon ready if the blue fish decide to run the beach chasing bait fish. Unfortunately this never happened I did however see several shoals of peanut bunker (a type of bait fish) feeding on the surface though out the day.jim_waldron2.jpg

plugs.jpg

The action started as soon as I got my third rod in the water first fish was Sea Robin, which I kept up for more bait their filets work really well for blues. I fished for 11 hrs ended up catching 60 + Sea robins (stopped counting after 60), 4 flounders (kept one for dinner), 1 Skate and 2 severally sun burned feet :wallbash: , note to self wear water socks next time. I also remembered to bring lucky spoon which I received as a Christmas present from Bly, if I don't bring this I don't catch fish oh and one more note to self talk on phone to girlfriend when fishing. This always brings good action and keeper size fish to the shore, all flounder where caught while I was talking to her. :thumbsup_anim: I ended up using most of my bait and gave the rest to two kids fishing as I left. I took several pictures but could not find them in my phone once I got home. I had a real nice shot of a Sea Robin with the New York skyline in the background. I find it pretty cool to be fishing in the Atlantic Ocean with in sight of New York, if I where to swim east the next land mass would be Spain.

beachsceen1.jpg

beachsceen.jpg

beachsceen3.jpg

flounder3.jpgflounder4.jpgsearobin2.jpg

All in all it was a great weekend with surf, sun and fish.

sea_robin_2.jpg

Hey there Alex! Great report and pics to go along with it! Too bad you couldn't find some of them. Looks like you had a great time out there....fishing the surf. Fishing with the NY skyline in the background must be pretty cool. Looks like a great time out there!

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of enlarging your pics....my eyes ain't what they used to be. Thanks again for taking the time to post of your adventure.

Thanks for enlarging those! They look even better now. I'm sure my brother-in-law wont mind at all!

Great, interesting report Alex. I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of enlarging your pics....my eyes ain't what they used to be. Thanks again for taking the time to post of your adventure.

thanks Roy I couldn't get a hold of Bly to help. Next time could you check of splleing errors too