Hillbilly Birthday Party

TennesseeGuy

My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter Caroline spent part of Saturday climbing

Mt. LeConte, in the Great Smoky Mountains. Their hike up was around seven miles,

with a 3800 foot gain in elevation. The camp is at 6593 feet. Caroline rode up in

Spencer's backpack and Lori carried diapers, toys and food for Caroline. It was hot

and humid at the beginning of the hike. They went up the mountain for a private

birthday party for Caroline who turns one year old September 12.

Here's a break to rest and tank up on fluids.

HillbillyBirthdayParty.jpg

They were still drenched with perspiration when they reached the top, but the much

cooler air temperature had them bringing out warmer clothing.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-3.jpg

I can walk, but don't want to until after my birthday.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-4.jpg

I'm on top of the world.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-5.jpg

Caroline is ready for her ride back down the mountain. They spent the night in camp

where their meals were served. There's no road to the top. Supplies are brought in

by surefooted llamas.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-7.jpg

Going down is easier.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-7-1.jpg

Lori crossing a creek. Either I got the photos out of order or Lori changed into lighter

clothing as they neared the bottom of the mountain and ran into hot, humid air.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-2.jpg

little c feeding a squirrel near the bottom.

HillbillyBirthdayParty-9.jpg

They made it to the bottom of Mt. LeConte midafternoon on Sunday. Little c and Lori

headed home to complete a work project and Spencer stayed behind to make a solo

whitewater paddling trip down the Ocoee River. His canoe trip was going well until he

had an urgent bathroom call while heading downstream. He found a calm stretch of

water and quickly got off the water and out of sight of other paddlers. He squatted

and did his business, and then did some more business. Then he noticed movement

directly under his bottom and he was not causing the movement. Looking down

he saw a three foot copperhead slithering away. Fortunately copperheads are

not aggressive.

Nothing hillbilly about that report! Beats the heck out of going to Chucky Cheese

What a little cuttie TG, no wonder the Mrs. wanted to get home.

Glad your son was able to do his business without injury.

Nice looking family

Who took the pics?

Whopper

Guest mistyriver1

That's a great report Connie, nothing hillbilly about that at all. The smokey mountains are one of my favorite places. Is Leconte one of the highest mountains ?...I can't remember.

A few from our trip there this past easter....It was a little cool this night..

102_4645.jpg

104_0936.jpg

104_0943.jpg

Ran into this guy through the park...

104_0915.jpg

and saw this mother and her cubs...a good distance away though..

104_0892.jpg

Mount LeConte is third highest in the Park. Clingman's Dome is a bit higher at 6643 feet.

Not a hillbilly report? You should see where my son lives. In his younger days he fished Roaring River in nearby Jackson County. He later bought a bottom farm that ran along the river. There was no house so he converted the tool shed into living quarters and lived there until the farm was paid for. Then he built a house and got over being a hermit by taking a bride. They do a lot of paddling, hiking, biking, running and horse back riding. Their house is located in a valley near the river. Dogs, chickens and birds start looking for a place to bed down around 4 in the afternoon when the sun drops down over Overton Mountain. When their road is closed due to flooding, my son takes his canoe downstream to the first bridge and hitch hikes 18 miles to work.

When he was converting his tool shed into a place to live, he'd walk a 200 feet to the river and catch a couple of fish to fry on his Coleman stove. Then back to work. Roaring River was also his bath tub for a couple of months.

I wonder what the poor copperhead thought as he looked up?