Bass'n on Erie today

pikehunter

My son and I finally had a morning together so we hooked the boat up and drove down to Pt. Maitland. On the way we stopped in and picked up the last dozen worms from Fishmaster's 24 bait shack and were the first to launch from the port.

We went straight out to Gull Island.

CloudyGullIsland.jpg

My son was determined that worms were the bait of the day so I tried various Mepps and plastics then finally gave in and hooked up a worm after my son lost a nice high jumping bass and I had nothing. Well the worms only allowed me to feed the gobies :angry: while my son never lost one worm to the stinking little thieves! :angel:

So at about this time he says that he has had enough! The wind was cold and his allergies were bad.

SohesaysIwannagohome.jpg

Then about 5 minutes later he hooks into this one! :thumbsup_anim:

5minuteslaterhegetsthis.jpg

17" long and a really good fight made his day for him. Then 20 minutes later the excitement wore off and the next thing to come from him was "Let's go now."

I have to admit, I was getting cold too and still hadn't enticed a bass or even a sheephead to bight so I agreed and we made it back home for a pizza lunch.

It was a good morning and a nice ending to August.

I was out last evening on the south shore of Erie and it was actually a slow one. First time pretty much all summer that it was slow......that lake sure does produce some size and numbers on the smallies. Hey Pike......try some soft plastic gobies on a drop shot next time.......its rare youll catch a goby on a goby sized goby lure lol. I also would agree on the leech, they are a little tougher to snip off for them little buggers. Nice smallmouth by the way

:dunno: Other than the shop wasn't open, only the worm fridge and then again guess I never thought of it? Maybe the next time I will try them, but they kinds of give me the creeps.

Yeah I know everyone says that the first time they use them..... Once you see what a bass will do to get a meal of live leech it takes all that squeamishness away. Not only bass like them though on Erie you could just as likely nail a walleye with a leech behind a spoon as a bass from what people tell me.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Yeah I know everyone says that the first time they use them..... Once you see what a bass will do to get a meal of live leech it takes all that squeamishness away. Not only bass like them though on Erie you could just as likely nail a walleye with a leech behind a spoon as a bass from what people tell me.

Again, i agree with Canuck..........earlier in the season we were out on Erie and fishing for smallmouth,......drifting a plain hook and a leech and were catching alot of smaller bass, i switched it up to a floating two tone flourescent head and a leech , and we went 3 for 5 on eyes in the same piece of water.