Algonquin park report - Aug 24-26

MJL

This past weekend (Friday to Sunday) I went north to Algonquin Park and camped with some high school friends. We paddled into our campsite on Canisbay lake. We had camped on this particular lake twice before and I have fished it 4-5 times in the past with good results.

I’m not much of a bass fisherman and my range of tackle for them is quite limited. I brought with me a 7’ 3-piece Shimano Compre and a Shimano Stradic 2000 loaded with 20lb PowerPro. The spare spool was loaded with 6lb mono. I also brought my 8wt fly rod in the hopes of getting a few smallies on topwater poppers.

The conditions all weekend was pretty much rain. There were breaks from the rain but none seemed longer than 5 minutes. It made starting a fire difficult but we had a small stove to cook food on – We did get a fire going in the rain to roast marshmallows. My friends didn’t believe in Gore-tex and other waterproof fabrics so they mostly stayed at the campsite during the trip. A couple of my friends did venture out for some fishing in the light rain.

My 4th cast standing on a rock 10’ from shore, I landed this one. It hit a Berkley bungee leech. It’s the 2nd bass I caught this year.

20070828009.jpg

I paddled around the lake by myself most of the time looking for “bassy” structure - Fallen trees, logs, boulders and rock piles, etc. My polarized glasses were also key in helping me to spot "bassy" spots. I docked myself to a fallen tree. My third cast in with the bungee leech I winched this one out before it could wrap itself around a branch.

20070828010.jpg

Another one from that spot

20070828014.jpg

I located 2 other spots which produced fish but none of any great size – Most of the fish caught this weekend were about 11 inches and under with 4-5 fish in the 2lb range. They were still good fun though. Most of the fish I caught came to Berkley Bungee leeches (cut down), Storm curly-tail grubs in a brownish colour and the same Storm grubs in a smoke colour with silver flakes in it. I couldn’t get a fish on the fly rod although I did get a few near hits on a white deceiver pattern. Overall I had a fun time fighting the smallies. My thumb is still chaffed from all the lipping.

Great report MJL! Nice to see fish other than Carp in your reports too...LOL. Good on you getting out there in the rain...looks like a great time.

It was great meeting up with you guys yesterday...had a great time out there, even though I wasn't doing any real catching...haha. Is someone posting a report about that?