New Fisher

rana

Hello everybody and thank you for letting me be a part of the forum.

I am new to fishing :Gonefishing: and the forum. My six year old daughter got me interested to go fishing with her. We are from Brampton and since 2 weeks we have been going to fish at professors Lake in brampton, eldaordo park in brampton, but everytime have come back empty handed. (Hats off to 6 year old to keep patience for 2/3 hours sitting to fish). Last weekend we even tried lakeshore around Hwy10 where the boats and the park is for around 4 hours but nothing. I have tried various combos (like Rapala moving fish), put corn, bread and artifical worms as well but the fishes do not like it.

What are we doing wrong! Can anyone please advice where we can catch a fish to keep my daughters interest alive! I don't mind travelling either, but to fish from land only.

Thank you.

Hi there Rana! Welcome to the board. I'm not familiar with the Brampton area as I am from the Oshawa area. Hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

I have a 5 year old daughter who LOVES to fish. The trick is to find out where to do it. Out our way there are some great little conservation areas that have small ponds that hold lots of little panfish. Just fish along weeds with a worm and bobber and you are off to the races. Live worms have worked the best for her.

Good luck! I hope someone can point you in the right direction.

Seriously, pan fish equal LIVE bait. Worms especially will catch them when nothing else will. If you really want to keep kids interested in fishing learn to catch your own worms, minnows, leeches, crayfish, maggots all the fun stuff to use. Not only will these things produce WAY better than artificals (except maybe this new powerbait crap, but it costs a fortune) the kids have the fun of playing with the bait!!!! It is totally win win and you save money and have the bonding experience of going and getting the bait it is like fishing twice on the same trip.

Hia Rana. I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention using 'real' worms. Try some( use only a half a worm or less )on a small hook. Fix a float( bobber )about a foot or two above your worm then cast out to those spots you were trying.

It always helps if you find some weeds or stumps or branches to cast near. These make good hiding place for fish( structure )and they'll hide out there 'til a nice, juicy worm drifts by.

Conservation areas, as mentioned, are usually good for catching panfish such as perch, sunfish and rockbass, and should keep you and your daughter busy.

Goodluck and welcome to the board.

Our Weekend:

Went to Professors Lake on Saturday even it when it drizzled at times spent most of the morning there, using worms and artificial fansies, no luck. My wife brought lunch as we stay closeby and we had a picnic lunch and headed to Loafers Lake. From around 2.30 to 06.30 we were at loafers lake try to catch something but then guess my 6 year old had enough for the day so we called it a day.

On Sunday, we went to Heartlake Conservation at 09.30 am. Purchased some juicy live worms from the bait shop and started :Gonefishing: , there were too many lake plants and lost 2/3 bobbers in the water and my daughter lost one on the tree trying to cast out. Had lunch and finally gave up at 04.30 as wife wanted to go home and get ready for today.

Not a fruitful weekend but spent time with my family, nice outing but no fishes. Oh yes we caught one frog though :clapping: which my daughter has decided to keep as a pet.

You live less than a half hour away from the best panfish spot in Central Ontario . . . Island Lake up at #9 & #10. There's enough small panfish, pike AND respectable bass in there to keep you busy. You'll likely have to rent a small paddle-boat . . . but this adds to the fun. Here's the link . . . . http://www.creditvalleycons.com/recandleisure/islandlake.htm I've sent quite a few families with small kids up there . . . never heard a complaint yet!

Was just gonna suggest the same as Photoz. Island lake is great for panfish and I always see kids out there having a ball. Even with the water level being lower than normal you can still catch them from shore if you cast out far enough. You can buy worms right there then just put them on a small hook under a float a foot or so and toss it out as far as you can from almost anywhere along the shore line (go just past the beach and you'll see some picnic tables near the water - that spot should work). If you rent a boat ($50 for a half day for a motor or much less for a canoe) then just drift around with the hook in the water just about anywhere and you'll get some panfish. One spot that's always good for some perch is near the island to the right of the docks - go straight out from the docks to the opposite shoreline and then to your right you'll see where the island breaks up the main lake into two channel - just drift down the middle of the further channel (the one opposite the docks).

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Thank you Photoz & Tbayboy for your suggestion. We will be headed to 9&10 this long weekend, hopefully it would be a fruitful one.

fatherof3 - been to your profile and saw the nice place pictures you have there of "Grand river", can you please let me know the location that would be helpful.

Thank you.

:dunno::angry::huh::(

Went to island lake this weekend and spent the whole day 9.30 am to 5.00 pm to catch something all we caught was weeds :(

We were trying to fish from the shore only and no luck with live worms from the bait shop. My daughter managed to catch a small minnow with her net and that was it. Maybe fishing is a game of luck and we are not lucky to get any fishes!

Welcome aboard!

I would like to suggest using the following:

4-6 pound test monofilament line

A combo pack dispenser of split shot. Try to get the round ones without the 'Tabs' on them. They are more weedless. Don't use those Rubber Core sinkers, fish are shy of them.

Buy good hooks. Try either Gamakatsu, or some type of 'Lazer Sharp' size #6, or #8. These hooks will catch light biters way better than unsharpened regular hooks.

Use fresh live bait. A worm that has been soaking for 20 minutes or so, is probably drowned and without movement. If Panfishing only, it probably won't matter, but for bigger game fish, such as Bass, Walleye, it matters.

Granny_Jed.jpg

Edited by Clamp-It