Flipping and Pitching

evster

Hey All,

I'm trying to teach myself how to pitch and flip properly. I think I understand how to pitch, what i'm doing is holding the jig beside the reel, and with the rod tip down I quickly snap it forward and drop the jig at the same time. I'm getting a nice flat pitch that goes about 50 feet if I give it my all.

Now, I have no idea how to flip. Everytime I try I end up with a big birds nest and its getting really annoying. Do I still hold the lure at the reel? Do I hold the rod tip up or down? How far should I be able to flip for it to be effective?

I think part of my problem with the flipping part is that I don't have a proper rod for it. From what i've read I should be using a fairly heavy rod so I think the one i've been using is too flimsy.

Now with both of these techniques I know the key is to set the lure on the water so you don't get a big splash. Is there a technique to help with this or does this come with time? Even when I get a good pitch and it looks like the jig will just set nicely I get a huge splash.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Evan

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/bass_fish.html

Evan.

I share your pain regarding these techniques.

I believe flipping is the technique where an arms length of line is pulled out between the reel and the first rod guide, bait at rod tip, rod tip low, and as you swing put your bait you release the line so you bait lands a short distance from your rod to tight structure or holes in weed beds with little splash.

From what I understand, the pros can literally walk a bait on the water with either technique and land on very precise locations with no splash. Takes tons of practice.

The link above has a number of articles and sections devoted to various techniques and baits. Take a look and good luck. Andy

Hey Evan,if you can,get yourself an auto flipp,n/pitch,n reel. Has a switch that you can make it for either free spool or stop when you release the thumb bar.BPS has one that is reasonable in price and makes it much easier to learn til you can flip without a nest.Hell Im still getting them,and I use one of them.LOL

Theres a guy here JPD that is a great flip/pitcher.Hopefully he will chime in.

Terrys another guy that has a number of years doing this aswell.He showed me.An older guy showing an older guy.L M A O

Terry,you got another student.LOL

Edited by misfish

I've played with a number of different reels over the years and have come to like Shimano Curado's and Chronarch's. They are expensive reels but they make the job of using a baitcaster easier. I keep all the brakes off and the friction control backed right off so line comes off the reel without effort.

As far as the techniques go, I pitch a bait at everything, whether it is 5 feet or 50 feet in front of me. I started flipping when I first found a love for bass fishing but once I learned how to pitch, I never needed to flip again. The real art is pitching a bait so there is a splashless entry or pitching a bait so it skips under a dock or tree and that comes with lots of practice. Every spring my neighbors think I am insane because I am on the patio piching to the cherry tree, fence, BBQ, my kid's toys, and under the picnic table.

I am a tall person so I use flipping sticks for everything but plenty of people use shorter rods. I think the key is a heavy rod so you can drive the hook home and get a bass coming towards you before it wraps you up.

Mark,

Thanks for the idea! That sounds like it would be good. What I have been doing up till now is while watching tv i'm pitching to posted notes on the floor :P and trying the keep the jig as close the the ground while also trying to keep it away from my cat as I don't want to have to cut the hook out of her mouth. Never thought of putting it under something to really learn to keep it low.

Thanks!

Evan