fishing poles unattended

fishinBrant

why is it some fisherman leave there poles unattended ? it seems like every time i go out i see it. at the beginning of the summer down in dover catching perch, i see a rod pulled of the pier into the water by a fish, and another by a boat got the fishing line wrapped around the motor and just last week again down on the grand a guy leaves his rod goes to the car to come back and found it in the river . I guess some ppl dont understand there are strong fish in these waters mainly carp who grab and run . has anyone else witness this

I've had it happen to me more times than I'd care to remember! Most vivid memory is from fishin the Goderich pier for carp. Was with some newbies who were having a hard time tying their line so I moseyed over to help, looked over at my rod, only to see it being dragged into the lake.

Grabbed my friends rod, tied on a 3/4 oz pixie spoon I had in my box and started draggin the bottom. Caught my line, my rod and eventually the 5lb carp that dragged it into the water! I think that rod has gone in the drink far too many times... I may be pushin my luck with it! :whistling:

HH

I generally see up to a half dozen rods & reels sacrificed to the carp or salmon Gods every year, mostly by people who just do not have any clue how powerful a big carp or salmon is. I've even told people that lay a rod at their feet, and step away from it to beware . . . . ("YA A A A . . . I CAN MOVE PRETTY FAST IF I GET A HIT . . . . ,") take their eyes off it, hear a SPLASH . . . bye bye rod!! I have a pod for my carp rods, and a 'baitrunner' style reel that you can set to 'free-spool,' plus an alarm . . . . but on rare occasions, forgot to set the bait-runner on 'free-spool,' and had to run like hell to catch it before it hit the water!! Usually after one 'donation,' the person smartens up!

I recently heard tell of a chap having to hire a scuba diver to retrieve his $600 + carp rod and reel that got pulled in the drink...

$50 was cheaper than replacing it... :whistling:

Anybody got their equipment insured for this mishap?

Ive never had this happen to me nor have I seen it happen to others.

Whenever I leave my rod, I always make sure that it is propt on something or something is holding it in place so that it cant move. Plus, I lower the drag right down so nothing gets broken if the fish happened to be a bruiser.

I remember one time I left my rod (wedged into the rocks) to eat my sandwich and when I got back I looked at my reel and noticed that 90% of my line was missing. I didnt hear the drag at all.

Turns out a little rock bass took off with my worm and just kept going and going..... From that day on I remember thinking how important it is to make sure your rod is secured.

I would never want to lose a $200 rod to a little fish like a rock bass.

I could only imagine if that would happen to someone at the start of their fishing trip and that being the only rod they had with them.

Better safe than sorry I say

I am lucky so far. Never lost one or actually been there when one was lost. I have however, gone out onto a pier lots of times just after someone has lost theirs. Seen a lot of red faces....

My favorite story about someone losing a rod is a buddy of mine was steelheading off the beach on Lake Huron. After a couple of wobbly pops he didn't quite hoist himself out of the chair fast enough when a salmon hit his roe bag. The fish pulled his rod holder over and dragged the rod into the water. A buddy of his had just decided to stop bottom fishing and start tossing a spoon. He had on waders as well so he ran out as deep as he could and just started chucking the spoon as close as he could to where they could see the fish jumping trying to shake off the rod.... About 10 minutes he got lucky and caught the line, came back on shore handed the line over to it owner. Who started coiling the line, eventually they got the rod back reeled in the coiled line and landed the fish.....

I usually leave my bail open if I go move away for more than a couple of seconds after hearing that one.

GOOD ONE!!

I am at a local swim for carp. Have my pod, baitrunners and alarms set up. This guy about 40 Yrds away , repeadily casts over my line. I think it was the 20th time he casts over me again, I tell him and the tells to to take a hike. He goes to his car, leaves to rod on the floor. My alarms goes off I set the hook, his rod goes 200MPH into the water. Well, he runs back, and guess what, his line must have came off my line. All I did't is say BYE BYE!

My 12 year old son and I were at a fly in outpost a month ago. We were doing really well with Walleye in a weedbed when he saw an eagle flying overhead and told me to get a picture. I reeled in my Johnson silver minnow and got the digital camera off my belt. As I was trying to get the picture I did not realize the silver minnow was still dangling in the water. The rod flipped up and hit me in the crotch. I almost lost the rod and the camera but caught a 35 inch pike!

Well over all years i have been fishing the great lakes i have seen several rods & reels go for a 50yrd dash into the lake...i lost a rod at the pickering nuke plant while fishing from shore in the outflow,i had the rod in a holder stuck into the sand,and as the waves were sometimes washing the sand out and making it slip and lean to 1 side,i bent down behind me to grab a rock to support it and BAng... a big fish hits and pulls the holder right into the lake right in front of me,it was so fast i couldnt grab it as it was 7ft deep just a few feet in front of me.....then about 30 seconds later we see the but of the rod being towed right by us by a big ,big,carp.....it was a shimano stradic and a nice 9ft noodle rod.....that sucked real bad.....never seen him again...... .