Canoe Friendly Waters for Bass/Pike????

ccmtcanada

With shore fishing pretty much sucking where we are, Bly and I have been thinking of maybe targeting some Bass/Pike in some waters that are canoe fishing friendly. My outrigger has been built, I picked up the trolling motor canoe mount from solopaddler last week and a buddy of mine has a 30lb thrust trolling motor I can borrow, so I think we are all set up....with only one thing....we dont know where to go....LOL.

The areas around Oshawa haven't really been producing, so we were thinking of heading a bit north to the Kawartha region...Scugog maybe....or any other lake in that general area. We dont need hot spots, just some hints on where to launch the canoe in protected areas/bays where we wont hit waters that are too rough.

We'd also be willing to maybe try some areas in the Mississauga area....we really dont know of any spots in that area however.

If anyone can help out with a location...and what is catchable in that area, that would be great.

Thanks!!

You can always try Orangeville Reservoir, the hammer handle capital of Ontario! Electric motors only, and plenty of snot rockets, crappies, and some bass to keep you busy all day. It's a bit out of your way thouugh, ahd water level is somewhat down.

I would like to suggest Canal lake. I wish this lake exclusively this season ( every weekend ). I mostly targed pike, but bass and walleye likes my offering to :D. Search my reports for the samples of the catch. If you decide to go there, I will be glad to share few "secrets" :P with you

Edited by keram

Lovesick Lake is another great little lake that is ideal for canoe fishing. There aren't any pike but lots of bass and musky. Due to it's size you can cover a good amount of water in a day. Lots of islands and channels that you can use to avoid the main channel and stay away from boat traffic. there's a public launch and parking right at Burleigh Falls, $2 charge I believe? it really is a beautiful lake, I used to camp on several of the many islands and fish out a canoe there for many years.

Here's a link to directions and video clips from a show we shot up there:

http://www.hookmorefish.com/dir/guides/epi.../launchzone.php

http://www.hookmorefish.com/dir/guides/epi...anglersview.php

Good luck!

Edited by Shaun R.

I have had good luck on the north side of the causeway on scugog.....but on the east side of the lake. Between #57 and island rd. There is a nice spot to throw a canoe in, and it would take a hard wind to make it rough enough in there to be worried in a canoe.

Tons of bass....some musky....and I've caught a few walleyes in there incidentally.

The river in lindsay is a decent spot too as long as there isn't too many boats going thru. You could launch at lunge haven right at the mouth of scugog river going into sturgeon, and fish all of goose bay with no problems. Same fish...bass/musky/maybe walleyes.

Emily Creek is another good spot for canoeing.....between lindsay and bobcaygeon. If the lake isn't rough its not far to get to the weed edge for good fish. Just launch off #36 and work your way to the lake.

I could go on and on.....but those should keep you busy. If you want more spots, shoot me a pm......I spent years fishing this area from a canoe!

Sinker