The Official "This thing is probably busted thread"

canadianguy33

I only joined this forum a couple of days ago and already I've read about some nasty (but kind of funny) flipped my boat, broke my rod threads so I thought it would be fun to hear some more stories about losing, breaking or general gear mishaps.

I'll start us off.

Last year I was on a week long fishing trip and I took my brand new $1,500 camera with me thinking I'd do some great photography. All was great up until the last day. I left my camera in the bottom of the boat, out of it's case and it just happened to pour down rain that night. I remember waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning because the rain was so loud on the tin cabin roof, and thinking OMG! I left my camera in the boat!. But, it was raining so hard I figured my camera was screwed so I went back to bed.

The next morning when I went down to the boat my camera was fully immersed in about 8 inches of water. I plucked it out, removed the battery and memory card, dumped the water that was inside of it, and then waited a week to turn it on an by golly it worked.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys have some better stories so let's hear them. :D

Same general thing happened to me a few years ago. I also had my expensive brand new camera in a boat that was rented while staying at a lodge up north. The boat must have had a small leak in it and slowly took on water. This was no big deal as it was just an aluminum boat. While taking a picture I somehow dropped my camera and didn't remember the water in the boat which had become about 3-4 inches deep and my camera was completely submerged for about 5 seconds. Like yours, mine still works great. With all those tiny holes in digital cameras for recording sound and playing it back i assumed the worst.

Since no one has posted another story I'll post another.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old my dad decided to take me and my two older brothers fishing up in Bobcaygeon. My father was pretty much a workaholic, didn't own a boat or cottage; worked his ass off to make a good life for us, so getting out fishing with him was a huge deal to us.

A couple of weeks before we went fishing he bought his very first, brand-new, straight off the lot, car. It was a Nissan 200sx. It had the works; leather seats, digital dash and even showed the speedometer in the windshield (which was really high-tech back then).

Both my parents were really poor growing up, and even though my dad was in his late 30's, getting his first brand new car was a huge deal to him. This particular Nissan 200sx kind of resembled KnighterRiders car. It was black, with the pop up headlights, and it even talked when you left the door open. I can still picture the smile on my dad's face every time the car would chirp "the door is ajar, the door is ajar". lol

Anyways, as I was saying, he took my brothers and I out fishing for the day. He didn't own a boat so we rented a little 9.9 from a marina. We went out fishing for the day and had a great time. Even on the boat ride back in we were all giddy from having so much fun.

When we were coming back in to dock just before dark we couldn't help but notice a flashing yellow light right about where we parked. As we got closer we noticed my dads car was missing.

Apparently, my dad's brand new knightrider car was parked on an unstable cliff of soil which collapsed when we were out fishing and his car ended up in the bottom of the lake.

My poor dad just laughed his ass off with tears in his eyes. I could tell he was really upset but he didn't want to ruin what was such a perfect day up until then.

Picture this.

Its 4 am, April 30th, Im fishing in complete darkness by myself in the woods on some river for opener trout. Ive been there for five minutes and hook into a decent steelie, and somehow in the darkness manage to get the thing to shore. As I bend over to pick the fish up my BRAND NEW camera goes into the drink, and being without a flashlight I have no hope in hell of finding the darn thing. So I wait it out untill sunlight, which leaves the camera submerged for about 2 hours, and sure enough it was completely toast.

Note to self, bring a buddy and a flashlight while fishing in the dark.

On a brighter note I landed over 10 steelies before 9 30 AM that morning.

Not fishing related, but I once left my car in the drive way with the moon roof open for two straight days of pouring rain. When I opened the door, I saw the cup holder filled with water to the brim and knew I was screwed. But that's nothing compared to what happened to your dad's Nissan!

Years ago as a teen, a few buddys and myself were in a 12 ft tinny on Long Point bay. I had just purchased a new "floating fillet knife" and was eager to show my buddys that it did indeed float! I dropped over the side and watched in horror as it sank quickly to the bottom! Turns out it only float when it is out of the sheath!

Live and learn!

HH

We thought we were immune to a lot of water mishaps because we fish from shore. We were fishing with our familiy out on the shores of Lake Scugog. We had those folding camping chairs set up for comfort. I put the cell phone in the drink holder of one of the chairs. Well, the wind suddenly picked up and the chair, with my phone ended up in the water. It took us 1/2 hour to get the phone out of there and I assumed it was toast. I immediately took the battery out and started to dry it out. On the way home I put the battery and phone over the aid conditioning vents (cool dry air) and did the same when I got home. A few hours later, I plugged it in and it was fine...worked for another year....until it was dropped in Lake Ontario....LOL. This time it was toast...good news though...it was a work phone and I got a brand new one....haha.

i was out at a buddys in niagara on the lake this past january.. had a lot of beers..

next morning when i sorted out where i was, and started gathering up my stuff, my phone was missing.. figured it was in my car.. not.. wasnt left in the cab, or the bar we were at.. so i figured some cabbie or barmaid stole it.. at the time i didnt have a land line, and all my contacts were on the phone, so i panick and go buy another cheap phone.. then i early april i get a call from my buddy in niagara, and he says a lady walkin up the road found my phone where a snow drift had previously had been.. he dried it out, and believe it or not the bloody thing worked.. still using it without problems..

Years ago as a teen, a few buddys and myself were in a 12 ft tinny on Long Point bay. I had just purchased a new "floating fillet knife" and was eager to show my buddys that it did indeed float! I dropped over the side and watched in horror as it sank quickly to the bottom! Turns out it only float when it is out of the sheath!

Live and learn!

HH

LOL!

Great stories guys. :D