Shades Mill report

jediangler

Went to Shades Mill conservation area on Sunday to try for some crappie on the ultra light. Put in at the launch at 2pm.

130408.jpg

I was using a 1/16oz jig & grub combo in yellow. Caught 6 largemouth, 1 smallmouth, 6 perch, 3 WGSF and 10 crappie. With the wife & daughter away for the day, I thought I might keep a few for table fare. Neither of them will eat fish and don't like the smell when I'm cooking them. I have a self imposed limit system for crappie where I only keep fish between 9-11" releasing the smaller and larger ones. After 4pm it began to cloud over and rain very lightly. This cleared the packed beach and all but one of the boats on the water. By 7pm I had only 2 keeper crappie so rather than clean two fish I took a photo and released them back into the lake to be caught another day.

130409.jpg

These two fish were 10.5 & 11".

Also, at the gate when I came in I was told that the bacteria levels in the lake were above provincial guidelines and that swimming was at your own risk. I imagine that eventually the levels will be high enough to close the beach completely.

Sounds like you had a great day out. Those are some big crappies. Shame about the poor water quality though...Do you think it has to do with pollution or is it something natural. I remember fishing there once a few years ago and can't remember if it was a fully enclosed lake or part of the Grand river system.

Shades Mill is part of the GRCA and it gets a bacteria problem due to the lack of freshwater running into the pond. With the dry and humid temps the past few weeks it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and with the run-off from farmers feilds it only gets worse. The fish are fairly clean but I wouldn't swim there if they are telling ya the levels are high. B)

Nice fish you got .

Have you seen many big turtles at the shallow end, up to the left of your picture. I had the biggest turtle I,ve ever seen try to climb into my boat and it scared the &&^^* out of me !. On the same day the friend that was with me landed an 181/2 bass. Been a camera in my boat ever since :)

Thanks all. I had intended to take the family swimming there on the holiday Monday but after the news of the bacteria levels we went to Bingeman's instead. Cost me $70 for the wife, daughter & I for a little over 2hrs of waterslides and wavepool action. Once a year is enough at those prices.

As for turtles BGis, I have not seen any there but don't usually go into the stumps. I like the drop off near the islands and the down trees and stumps along the deeper forested shoreline. The biggest turtles I ever saw were at Wildwood conservation area. Manhole cover sized beasts with heads the size of your fist. Even caught one there on a deep diving lure while trolling.

082764.jpg