Doe Lake Report

solopaddler

Well, we decided at literally the last minute to head north to Doe Lake just north of Huntsville for a couple of nights. My brother in law and his family were up there for the week. We don't get to see them that much and we had the time, so why not?

It was a tight fit in the car though. My mother in law joined us so Joanne was crammed into the back seat between the 2 child seats. No room to move and a kid on each side of her grabbing at her.....she was glad when we arrived :) .

We rented a pretty decent little cottage on Little Doe Lake at another resort right next to the one my in laws were at.

100_1494.jpg

100_1493.jpg

100_1492.jpg

Small private beach right at our doorstep was nice, my daughter loved it.

100_1491.jpg

Now, before I left I solicted the board for help in finding walleye up there (thank's again everyone for the info, especially Joey!). In all honesty I didn't get a chance to fish all that much, and when I did get out it was tough! My brother in law Dale owns a boat that looks eerily like the one Relic on The Beachcombers drove :D ...not a great fishing boat, we tried for a bit in his boat, but you coudn't troll in it (too fast), and there wasn't a breath of wind for a drift, so that was out. I was getting frustrated so I broke down and rented a small tin boat Thursday evening and brought my 13 year old nephew Ryan out to a small rockpile on Little Doe.

100_1496.jpg

100_1497.jpg

We tried our best, but other than a few Rock Bass and one undersized smallmouth, we came up short. Real nice evening and sunset though...

Friday the weather continued it's trend of hot, hazy, flat calm conditions. I went out for a bit by myself early Friday morning, but man, conditions were tough!

Here I am entering the narrows from Little Doe into Middle Doe.

100_1498.jpg

Once on Big Doe I tried a variety of spots, but it felt like fishing in the Gobi Desert! :D

100_1499.jpg

Caught a bunch of dink smallmouth and that was it...

Now I've got to say these lakes were unbelievably busy. Jet skis, waterskiers and pleasure boats churning up the water all day long. That combined with the weather conditions made for pretty tough conditions (that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!)

With those conditions combined with the near full moon what I should have done is troll all night long with some of my modified oversized floating Rapalas. Unfortunately that wasn't an option on this trip.

Ah well, it was still fun! We capped off our mini trip with a huge barbecue on our last night

100_1495.jpg

No complaints, it was still a fun little getaway.

Headed north to my place in Quebec with a bud later this week for some serious back lake fishing. One lake in particular is reputed to have numbers of big pike over 20lb's (and never gets fished) so it should be interesting, hopefully we'll put a few more fish in the boat!

cheers, Mike

Well that's too bad you didn't get out as much as you wanted. Maybe next time you go up you can try trolling some of the areas we talked about.

Great report and thanks for the pics. I recognize all those places :clapping:

Joey

Too Bad Mike but I think with the heat the fishing has slowed down.I think boat traffic does hinder the fishing.

Your wife must be proud from the looks of that bedroom pic it shows you know how to make the bed very well ,neatly too :whistling:

Looking forward to the Monster pike report :canadian: MTP