Inflatable kayak fishing

njones

Hi, just got back from a trip to the Isle of Man.

It's halfway between Ireland and England.

My wife is half Manx, so it isn't really a fishing trip, I had to reward her for letting me slip the leash and fly over to Canada to fish Temagami with some buddies from Ottawa.

Just before we left, I bought an inflatable kayak and a tiny fish- finder, so I was just trying it out.

IsleofMan149.jpg

We went to a small bay, light onshore breeze so it was perfect. Paddled out on the right side of the bay, checked the sonar, 20 ft and fish passing underneath. Caught some lovely Pollack around 2lbs, they are a really lively fish, fight like crazy, had the rod bent double. Brought them back in a keep- net, ran up the beach and asked my wife to take some pics before I released them :rolleyes::glare:

When I tried to see them, she hadn't pressed the button hard enough.

IsleofMan002.jpg

IsleofMan003.jpg

Fished off the harbour wall as well. Not too good this time, 2 seals have moved in and they frighten a lot away. Got a few though when they weren't looking. Caught some Ballan Wrasse and some smaller pollack, all good scrappers.

IsleofMan253.jpg

IsleofMan014.jpg

IsleofMan147.jpg

Caught them on scallop frills, if you ever see scallops in their shell, when you clean off the white meat, the rest can be wound around the hook, it's really tough, so the fish can't get it off easily, killer bait

I really enjoyed the kayak, it's very limited, only safe close in, no offshore wind or waves, tipped over once, so no loose gear and make sure you're close enough to swim home if you have to, but how else can you get fishing with a bag the size of a large flight bag, in the trunk of your car, in 10 minutes, from any place where you can park near a lake or river?

The island is a magical place, so much history.

They have the oldest continuous goverment in the world, a 1,000 years. It is a British protectorate, but has it's own laws etc. Up till the 60's, any crime like vandalism, assault etc was punished by caning, so no graffiti there :clapping:

Any bikers should have heard of the TT. They close off roads around the island to form a 37 mile circuit of very small, 2 lane country roads, and for a week they race. Speeds of 120 mph+.

IsleofMan223.jpg

070604TK27020jpg.jpg

IsleofMan196.jpg

Sunset from our apartment window

IsleofMan053.jpg

Great report & pics. I like the portability of your inflatable, but would be afraid of puncturing it with a hook. I'll stick to my plastic yak. Always knew of the TT, Pops was a racer and used to take me to races as a kid. Once I got my own bike I always wanted to go round the course, at a leisurely pace, on the Isle.

Had to bully my Ottawa buddies into coming, But I think they enjoyed it in the end,

Don't be worried you can't afford it, costs are around the same, you just need a plan, what you want to see, it's a much smaller countrty so things are packed closer, but you won';t believe how much countryside we have got, outside of the cities.

Durham city, the cathedral

durhamjuly9th025.jpg

Anyone who wants more, just PM me. Be happy to help. Neil

Nice report and beautiful pics. Thank you for sharing.

I have the same fishfinder for remote trips and icefishing. It works very well for finding depth and schools of fish. The fish alarm sure can get annoying if you are not catching though.

Edited by Fishnfiend