Trolling Motor

supernaut

I've used both a 30 and a 36 lbs motor on my heavy 14' tin boat (needs minimum 20 hp just to plane two +200lbs guys). I found the 30lbs a little underpowered, whereas the 36 lbs is just right. You could get away with the 30 lbs, but I suspect the 36 lbs would be better.

I've used both a 30 and a 36 lbs motor on my heavy 14' tin boat (needs minimum 20 hp just to plane two +200lbs guys). I found the 30lbs a little underpowered, whereas the 36 lbs is just right. You could get away with the 30 lbs, but I suspect the 36 lbs would be better.

..and I'd suspect you'd get more efficient battery use out of the more powerful one since it won't struggle as much to push the boat.

How about slow trolling with the high thrust models? How slow can they go? My 36lbs on the slowest setting is slow enough for most situations, but I wonder if it might be too fast for dead trolling a worm on bottom. Its certainly strong enough for windy days.

Edited by boatman

I'd say the higher thrust the better.

MORE POWER!!! LOL...

You can always use the lower gears, and back troll if your speed is still to fast

But if you have a high thrust motor you have the option of kicking it up in high wind, or thick weed.

Just don't forget..the higher the thrust, the more power consumption you will burn.

Ps.

I a lttile birdie told me BPS has a variety of trolling motors on some 50% off for a limited time....