Free Lake-"O" surface temps?

gforce

They use thermal scanning so cloud cover distorts the readings.

Sure enough Rick.

The coastwatch site just got updated and if you look at it now with all the clouds gone the temps almost doubled compared to what they were before ;-)

This makes me trust the NOAA site much more.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Wow, that's cold! See those temps in the 30's. You may have to take your auger out there with you to knock a hole through the ice.

the 30 degree temps are inaccurate.. overcast days will screw up the readings

the temps are now mostly in the 60's across the lake - but it can change very quickly on that lake

I agree the 30's would probably be inaccurate, just using my sarcastic wit to express an opinion. It makes sense that cloud cover would effect the temp. readings.

The 30 degree readings could be in the 40's, maybe 50's. I can remember summer days when I was a kid. It could be 90 degrees and hotter than Toby's arse and we would run down to the beach, across the hot sand burning the bottom of our feet and then have to run back out of the water because it was frigid!!! :wallbash: Then we would find that comfort area of damp sand that was cooler but not freezing like the lake water. The we would be in a fix, trying to figure out how to get back to our towels without burning our feet! Ahhh childhood memories. :sleeping_02:

Later, upon listening to the news we would learn that the lake water temp for that day was like 40 something. So we started going to the public swimming pool at Mountainside park. The water in the pool was warmer, much warmer it would be around 71 degrees!! Wow we couldn't get over how warm the pool felt! Now I wouldn't get in the water if it's colder than 80!

Hope this isn't a thread hijack, just reminiscing. :blush: