a few days on Rice Lake last week

Fisherpete

I was on holidays last week, and got to spend a few days up at the cottage on Rice Lake. Compared to a month ago, the weeds have really died back, and many of my fave spots are now castable (weeds nicely spaced and a few feet below the surface). Both the bass and the walleye were really on (the walleye mostly in the evening), and were aggresively hitting everything from spinnerbaits, x-raps, crankbaits and plastics around the docks. I caught 3 OFAH award bass, my brother got 2 and his friend one. Not bad for a weekend, especially when there was a tournament going on and LOTS of boats out there!!! Here's some of the pics.

Here's a nice 24.5" Walleye taken on a X-rap at dusk, yes, 24.5", only 0.5" short of an OFAH award.... grrrr... the walleye one has been a challenge for me the past few seasons, lots of 22-24" class fish...

DSCN0474.JPG

My brother Paul with a chunky 18.5" Largemouth also taken on an X-rap, same location as the walleye above. Yes, his friend (Curtis) is a GOOFBALL. But we have converted him into a hardcore fisherman this year!!!

DSCN0476.JPG

Two bigmouths!

DSCN0478.JPG

I snuck out by myself at 5:30am the next morning while everyone else was passed out after boozing by the campfire. I was not dissapointed with the fishing action... after watching the tournament boats roar down the lake, I stopped at a thick weedbed and got into this nice 18" Largemouth, my first OFAH award bass of the year. I need to rig up a tripod or something, pics of the fish like this just don't cut it!!!!

DSCN0479.JPG

After a few more largies, I moved to my fave smallie spot, a rocky shoal with steep drop-offs around the edges. I soon got into a few spunky 13" fish, then a 15".

DSCN0480.JPG

Soon after the 15", two boats who had been watching me pulled up literally within 20 feet of me and started casting. Do I need to share how this feels? I could have taken to the offensive, but who feels like fighting this early in the morning. I used the electric, and scooted to the other side of the shoal. On went the crayfish shad rap, out goes the cast, and WHAM! Fish on! I knew it was a biggie as soon as it was on, but it didn't give your typical acrobatic-headshaking smallie fight, felt more like having a big walleye on. First glimpse of the fish, and my heart started to pound, damn, going to be interesting netting this guy on my own!!! But she was well hooked, and I landed her without much of a problem. I was all smiles at this point, already planning my bragging to the boys when I headed back in! The smallie was a touch over 20", a personal best and OFAH award #2 of the trip. It also completed my 5 species for the OFAH Avid Angler award. My 5 qualifiers were a 32" Carp, 39" Musky, 10.5" Rock Bass (aka World's Greatest Sportfish), 18" Largemouth and now 20" Smallmouth.

DSCN0481.JPG

At this point, I called it a morning, and headed back to the island, where I was met with cries of "Why didn't you wake me!!!!!!! I would have come with you!!!!"

Part 2 of this post to follow below...

Edited by Fisherpete

Part 2

The next evening, we headed out to another spot that had produced some nice largemouth in the past. Sure enough, it was hot again... after a few decent fish, Curtis got a beauty 18.5" Largemouth, his first ever OFAH award fish.

DSCN0483.JPG

Paul followed with a nice 17.5".

DSCN0486.JPG

Soon after, Paul nailed a HARD fighting 18.5" Smallie!

DSCN0488.JPG

I then caught a nice 23" Walleye, but on the horizon, lightening lit up the sky, and it was time to call it a night. We set out the next day in 2 boats, with the ladies and kids tagging along for a fun little tourney. Our boat won 6-0 (heh heh)... the wifey put us on the board first up with a decent largemouth. Paul lost one a moment after.

DSCN0489.JPG

A few small ones later, I closed out the day and my vacation with a fat 18.5" that fought like a freight train, plowing deep into the weeds several times trying to shake my spinnerbait. OFAH award #3 for me! A great couple of days all in all, despite having quite a bit of rain and wind up there. Can't wait until next time!

DSCN0490.JPG

Part 2

The next evening, we headed out to another spot that had produced some nice largemouth in the past. Sure enough, it was hot again... after a few decent fish, Curtis got a beauty 18.5" Largemouth, his first ever OFAH award fish.

DSCN0483.JPG

Paul followed with a nice 17.5".

DSCN0486.JPG

Soon after, Paul nailed a HARD fighting 18.5" Smallie!

DSCN0488.JPG

I then caught a nice 23" Walleye, but on the horizon, lightening lit up the sky, and it was time to call it a night. We set out the next day in 2 boats, with the ladies and kids tagging along for a fun little tourney. Our boat won 6-0 (heh heh)... the wifey put us on the board first up with a decent largemouth. Paul lost one a moment after.

DSCN0489.JPG

A few small ones later, I closed out the day and my vacation with a fat 18.5" that fought like a freight train, plowing deep into the weeds several times trying to shake my spinnerbait. OFAH award #3 for me! A great couple of days all in all, despite having quite a bit of rain and wind up there. Can't wait until next time!

DSCN0490.JPG

Great report, love the photo's......Nothing better than spending a week of ur hols up at the cottage on the lake and catching fish.

WTG. :thumbsup_anim:

Nauti. ;)