Dipsey's with braid

StrikePro

I just recently bought my first dipsey diver rig. I've been out with it once so far. I didn't manage to catch anything with it, but I really like it. I rigged the reel with 50 lb. super braid. The guide for the dipsey diver was made with 20 lb. mono and it says that braid will help the dipsey dive even deeper. My question is, how much deeper will it dive with braid? I'd like to have an accurate idea of how deep my baits are going to be running.

Any help would be appreciated.

grab a pen & paper next time you go out. let out x amount of line, if you hit bottom of y depth - shorten the lead and go over the same spot again. make a note of it. rinse, lather and repeat. this is as accurate as it gets. you'll have your own depth curve sooner than you think.

Another option for you would be to purchase the Precision Trolling Guide, Dipsey version. I'll give yah a pretty good idea, but as Raf says, nothing is exact and you may have to play around a little to be confident in presentation.

Just google "Precision Trolling Guide" to learn more.

HH

If you using braid, simply look at the box below the number of line out box your looking at on the luhr jenson guide that comes with your dipsy.

Braid will dive the same as the 20lbs mono box, but the one deeper. (i hope this makes sense). if your guide says it will dive 35' with 110' of line out (with ring) (this is an example, not fact) of mono, and it will dive 40' with 130' of line out (with ring), simply look at the second box (dive 40' with 130'), but only putting 110' of line out.

Letting line out, and hitting bottom somewhat works....but lets say you have 80' of line out, that means behind the boat....so if your bait hits, sure, you know the depth "below" you, which is what your finder is reading, but "not" the depth where the dipsy is....it does give you an idea though.

Back to what i originally mentioned, if you have a gander at the trolling guide, you'll see the box below what your looking at is pretty darn close to a match with braid....

steve, most of us have lcd finders that show a history of where the boat's been. ;)

so long as you're trolling in a straight line you'll know the ridge you smacked.