trailer tires

bow slayer

why are my boat trailer tires wearing unevenly? The outside of them has no tread left with some flat spots only on the outside. The rest of the tires look fine. Also since I will have to replace them what about 13 inch car tires instead of 13 inch trailer tires? They are cheaper and have a heavier load rating. thanks

Edited by bowslayer

They are wearing unevenly because they are out of alignment which is fairly common on a trailer and i would stay with trailer tires not car tires. They are made to withstand the constant bouncing and shock loads that the trailer exerts on the tires automotive tires usually don't last long on trailers.

outside wear indicates our tires are not running flat to the road. My trailer does the same thing the tires seem to "lean" that is because of the load placed on the trailer frame.... take a 2' level and place it on face of the tires when the trailer us under load you will see it is significantly out of plumb. Only thing you can try and do is add some strength to the trailer to keep the frame from flexing. Horizontal cross members will help.

Good Luck!

Gerritt.

why are my boat trailer tires wearing unevenly?...... . since I will have to replace them what about 13 inch car tires instead of 13 inch trailer tires? They are cheaper and have a heavier load rating. thanks

I believe the Highway Traffic Act or Transport Canada decrees that you must use 'trailer tires' on your trailer. Something about the load and stress.

Go to your nearby Princess Auto, and pick up a set of radial tires & rims, and replace your current tires. You will be looking at about $100 per tire/rim.

John