Newbie but not a newbie.....

bassboy

Hi Everyone.....

My first post....be gentle!! :)

My name is Bill.....I live in north Oshawa.

I did a lot of fishing (with not so much luck) as a younger fellow, and after long last have taken it back up again.

I got my wife hooked (no pun intended) last year when we borrowed her father's boat one time, and have thankfully got her interested too.

Bought a boat a month and a half ago (16ft Tracker super guide with 50 hp Merc) and have been out a few times.....Mostly Scugog but got blown off Simcoe a couple weeks ago. Have not really caught anything to speak of save a crappie or two in Scugog, and we both caught 2 walleye from shore just up from the dock in Port Perry shortly before mother natures carp cull.

Seems to be a lot more to this than when I last fished......different types of line especially. I have 3 cheapo spinning setups, and one cheapo bait casting setup. I have new line on all reels but am wondering about this braid stuff (dyneema and or spectra.....essentially same material under a different name. Use this stuff [80-100 lb test] on my stunt kites) and flourocarbon. I went with 6lb FC on one spinning reel, and 8-10 on the others. I am using regular mono (14lb) on my baitcaster. I kind of got the understanding that braid is best used on the BC and mono and FC on the spin stuff. Is this correct? I have 2 spools of braid I would like to try but dont really want to empty the BC.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.......seems like a great bunch of people here.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

If you don't want to empty the BC, take it back half-way (or abouts) and tie a uni-to-uni with the braid. All the benefits of braid on the front half, half the cost. Just a thought. Depending on how "good" you are with the BC, you may want to stick with the mono for the rest of the season. It is a lot easier to pick out the birds nest's with mono then braid. If you are comfortable with it, then 'giver.

Not sure about the diameter of the braid and mono, but a UTU is best used on lines that are of similar diameter. There is another knot to use if they aren't the same, but it escapes me right now. Should be a how-to in the braid package.

Don't worry about the "cheapo" stuff. One man's cheapo is another's pay cheque. Take care of it and it will outlast you.

since when did fishing become so complicated?

I think it must have happened somewhere in the late 80's and early 90's. I lost interest in fishing around then and got back to it about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm still a pretty low tech guy but have moved up to a fishfinder and once in a while I may even use flourocarbon line as a leader. Call me old fashioned, call me cheap, I don't worry I like to fish and that's all I care.

Have fun with your new boat and catch some nice fish so we can all hesr about it.

Thanks for the replies guys.....

I never thought of doing a half and half....kinda like backing line on a fly rod......definitely worth a think. The knot though....have to look that one up. Is it anything like a blood knot? That one I know....

As for cheap stuff.....the only rod/reel I have that is new is the BC stuff that I bought last year at LeBaron as a package.....had heard the benfits of BC and wanted to try it. HUGE learning curve.....and lots of birds nests but am at the point now where there are more good casts than birds nests.

Other than that, most of my gear are hold overs from before. Newest reel was bought in 1989. I really like it (Shimano TX125 w/ quickfire and rear dual drag) and I figure that until I get to be a little more fish saavy, its pointless spending decent coin on something I may not be able to appreciate....if that makes any sense.

I was similar, in that I lost interest.....well....not so much lost interest, but my parents sold their place on Sturgeon and moved to Lindsay. Since I had no way of towing a boat (very small car and no trailer for the boat) the boat went in the deal. Not only that.....things just seemed to get 'too busy' as well. Am glad to be back fishing though. I am pretty low tech myself.....though I have a fish finder, I am not the greatest at using it. I am enjoying the learning curve though.

I cant seem to get out fishing enough.....and launching the boat myself, while not a daunting task to me, is just something I am not sure if I am comfortable with yet. Mostly weekends when I go fishing now, since by the time my wife gets home from work is usually around 6:30-7ish and a little late to be going out really. I am home most nights at 4:30.

I find it difficult fishing a lake I havent really fished before too. Though I have been on Scugog quite a few times, I havent really figured out where the fish are yet, though I have been advised by several people. So my catches there have been limited to a couple of small bass, and some perch and crappie. Scugog is probably my main choice, because if its proximity to me. I can be on the lake in about 1/2 hr of leaving home. Lake Ontario might be closer, but its a little 'big' for me yet.

Will more than likely be going out tomorrow morning so will see what that brings.

Thanks very much for the advice guys!

Bill

Good to see you're getting back into it! I have been fishing all my life. I was a serious carp fisherman back in the school days, thats all I could catch in the lake in my home town of Tillsonburg. I got introduced to bass fishing going to camp as a kid and kept going to this day. I usually only got out fishing three or four times a year until this past year. The bug hit me like it hit you. I also found that there was a lot more out there then I knew of. So i've been playing around with stuff here and there. I like braided line, because I find once its on there it will last a long time. Also I find it much more sensitive than mono. This year I have managed to get out alot more as well although I don't have a boat, I am DYING to get one. But right now I just have a small car, but if I do get one I can borrow my dad's truck to tow it if I need.

Good luck!

Evan

Welcome Bill,

Great site here, and some pretty cool people to boot.

One good thing about fishing is that it can either be as complicated or as simple as YOU wish to make it.

Some of my best days on the water were spent doing the simple things.

My Dad always used to say "it's doesn't matter where you are going, it's what you see along the way".

That dude always was a lot smarter than me :canadian: .

Hookset.

Welcome aboard Bassboy, hang onto the sides and enjoy the ride. This is the most friendly board there is. Questions will be answered by knowledgeable members, and your learning curb will be shortened.

As far as your equipment goes, if you are comfortable with each rod and reel, and they are not in need of repairs, stay with what you have. Buy new only as you need to replace or add to your arsenal, but buy the best you can afford, (hurt once and have enjoy for a long time)

I would replace the line you currently have with fresh line. Your spinning reels should have 6-8# test mono or braid. (braid tends to be expensive, but will ast quite a while) Don't have to get caught up in all the new lines on the market. Quality mono, will work just as well.

Dyneema and Spectra are the same chemical product. In Europe they call it Dyneema, here in North America it is called Spectra. Brand names are subjective, braided lines will be peform the same.

If you choose to use a braided line on your bait cast reels, you do require a backing, remove half of the line on the reel, us a blood knot connect the braid to the mono and spool tightly. I would suggest a minimum of 65# test braid. (You don't want to see an expensive lure flying off into the yonder, if you birdsnest, from experience using 50# braid, a profession overrun, the line snapped and my expensive bucktail was last seen sailing into the yonder)

I would also suggest using a fluoro-carbon leader. You buy a spool of Seagur Fluoro-carbon about 40# test, a few ball bearing swivels and snaps, and you can make your own. (fluoro is relatively invisible under water, so the diameter will not spook fish.)

When launching by yourself, I have learned that an extra long rope tied to the bow eye, the conveniently placed inside the passenger door, works well. You can easliy back the trailer into the water far enough to float the boat, then exit said vehicle,grab the line out of the passenger door, and walk towards the dock and the boat. Secure boat to said dock, and park vehicle. The difficult task (when alone) is loading the boat back on the trailer after a day of fishing :dunno:

Enjoy your new toys, and make fishing what YOU want it to be.

John

Remember, prep the boat away from the actual launch.