Soon!

Spiel

2 hours ago, Spiel said:

I have two of the original LG Custom (Stanton style) reels and they're extremely well used, now retired, they were always paired with a rubber band or hair scrunchie.  :D

Some of my happiest memories involve rubber bands, even if the rod of the day did have the reel seat mounted backwards.

image.jpeg.128a87a5e716777a24626f15cd230611.jpeg

This was my second LG reel ... the original one didn't even have handles, just a knurled spool that would brutalise your hands on cold days. Handles were a major step up! Scanned 35mm slide with March 1980 stamped on it.

Chris - your new rig is gorgeous. Put some wear on the bearings for me.

Cheers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spiel said:

There is an elastic band to be seen here on the old LG Custom CP reel pics.  :)
Don't fret over the death grip fish hold, I ate it!  (also note the hat) :D

Mymyb.jpg

Wet.jpg

HAHAHA , mine is one of those LG Stantons as well, I just thought they were real Stantons that Lorne put one of his stickers on , mine has the knurled rim that I actually like and handles, buddy got there late , he had one of the handleless ones . I do recall they came with a gawd awful long reel seat foot that took a bit of filing to get into the seat on my rod. Was a a step up  from the Grice and Young Avon that I got there as well, hated it when line got behind the spool

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dave524 said:

HAHAHA , mine is one of those LG Stantons as well, I just thought they were real Stantons that Lorne put one of his stickers on , mine has the knurled rim that I actually like and handles, buddy got there late , he had one of the handleless ones . I do recall they came with a gawd awful long reel seat foot that took a bit of filing to get into the seat on my rod. Was a a step up  from the Grice and Young Avon that I got there as well, hated it when line got behind the spool

The one pictured is 5" and has the knurled rim, mostly worn off now.  lol

Yes, I too had to file down the overly large foot to get it to fit the reel seat.
The 4.5" reel is smooth edged.

I still have my Grice and Young as well, they were a bitch for line getting behind the spool, but the spool release was quick and easy.

20171129_141132.jpg

20171129_141155.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, Spiel said:

I still have my Grice and Young as well, they were a whine for line getting behind the spool, but the spool release was quick and easy.

20171129_141132.jpg

20171129_141155.jpg

Yeah , that the one,  I sold mine mine to Bill Spicer back when he fished with other than a flyrod, that reel probably drove him to give up centerpinning.

• Haha 1

Well I managed to make the trip out to London today with a buddy to pick up my new reel. The "Tigers Eye" now has her little sister the "Cats Azz" at home.  :)

Now it's high time summer moved along and let fall get under way.  :D

image.jpeg

• Like 4