Buddy gets spooled and hooks on another rod.

But you never had to tie another rod on. 

I just had a huge largie hit that pulled the rod out of the tube rod holder and right into the water.  I got it back because I was using a floating lure.  The bass had shook off though.  

• Like 1

Man, what a shame. I expect you would have had quite the battle ahead of you. Did you at least get a look at it? Nothing I love more than surface fishing. Whether it be for bass and pike with big baits or trout with flies. Gets my adrenaline going a little more.

• 2 weeks later...

Will floating in my Hobie I used to use a Shimano 401 Callcutta CTE casting reel with 10lb mono with a 6lb fluro leader for Chinooks off Bronte in the fall. It was an experiment to see if you could consistently catch Chinnies at noon in clear water when everyone else whet home. The line diameter issue really struck home for me because you most definitely can catch them at noon, and almost immediately, if you drop down to 6lb leader. One time I had one on and it ran out to near the end of my spool on the 401, I figure about 200 yards, but that was not the worst part. While the fish was that far away from me three power boats ran over top of my line yet they did not cut me off. In truth I don't know how they did not cut the mainline. I did eventually get that fish in but the overall experiment proved that yes you can catch chinnies at noon in clear water consistently, but it also proved that it was not fun. It took way too long to land them as you had to baby the fish to finesse them in and it was boring as opposed to exciting.

That charter captain did a good job coaching those geezers how to fish for giants but my back hurt just looking at that endeavor. I could never do that kind of fishing anymore, the pain would be too much, especially if you lost the fish at the end. Thank God for GoPros so they at least got some good pics of the Marlin. National Geographics shark special this past month showed guys fishing the oil rigs off Louisianna and they hooked up regularly but lost virtually every fish to sharks that have learned to hover around the rigs waiting for anglers to spoon feed them amberjack and tuna. That would hurt even more because that's some great sashimi going to waste.

• Like 1