Looking for support

BITEME

Right form the get go I will say I have no skin is this game other then friends that are legitimately part of the fishery which is also a livelihood in the community I’m in . Please do your own research on this
because of the value of this fishery for the last while it has turned into the Wild West in terms of the black market end of things people are going to get hurt.

the government has not done a thing about this enforcement wise .Nova Scotia has offered wardens to enforce this and the feds are not doing a thing except shut the whole thing down for another year while nothing is done

look at it this way you halve just been laid off for another year you don’t get to collect anything because this is an ownership business and expected to recover year to year that is a very simple example to a very complex situation

bottom line for me I guess and maybe you is do you support all the legitimate fisher people or not, should the government have the boots on the ground to enforce.  The fishery should be open it’s a legitimate lively hood

all said and done if you agree to this sign the petition and please pass this on to other fishermen

there will be blood here soon it’s that bad!!!

https://www.change.org/p/restore-1100-maritime-fishing-jobs-by-opening-the-legal-elver-fishery-in-2024?recruiter=3592750&recruited_by_id=2baed720-205c-0130-da9f-3c764e044346&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=petition_dashboard&utm_medium=copylink

cheers

Biteme

Yeah, I've heard a liitle about this on the news...sounds like a pot that's ready to boil over. I guess when there's that much money involved it turns up the temperature. Doesn't sound like there are any easy answers.

Who knew that baby Eels were fetching $5000 a kg !

Here's a quote that speaks to the situation:

"It is the most wicked fisheries problem I have ever witnessed in my life, because literally you can go and buy a dollar store net and you can make thousands of dollars," Fuller said.

Edited by CrowMan

there is a lot more involved then just catching, keep in mind these need to go live to be grown on farms on the other side of the planet

a lot of money from the fishermen  license holder goes into the infrastructure to keep them alive until the season ends and the buyers purchase think of a large scale salt water aquarium set up and as of late they have had to hire 24hr on site security to watch their buildings where they tank the elvers.

its an unnecessary situation here that the Feds need to deal with properly

• Like 1