Bought a lithium battery

There's no issues charging AGMs when it's cold.  If they're completely dead, then you should charge them in above 0 temps.   I've always left my AGMs plugged into the charger/maintainer over the winter.  Been doing this since I can remember.  

I'll probably switch over to lithiums when my current group of AGMs die, I'd guess another 2-3 seasons.   Weight savings will be nice. 

20 hours ago, BillM said:

There's no issues charging AGMs when it's cold.  If they're completely dead, then you should charge them in above 0 temps.   I've always left my AGMs plugged into the charger/maintainer over the winter.  Been doing this since I can remember.  

I'll probably switch over to lithiums when my current group of AGMs die, I'd guess another 2-3 seasons.   Weight savings will be nice. 

Hey Bill I had read that optimal charging temps for AGM's were over 32F... but i guess there are non optimal charging conditions. With Lithium charging below 32 can damage the cells and ruin the battery, hence why some of them have the cold temp charging shut off if the battery gets to cold. In my garage I won't have that problem. 

I got 4 seasons out of my AGM's and lots of life left... sold them fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassMan11 said:

Hey Bill I had read that optimal charging temps for AGM's were over 32F... but i guess there are non optimal charging conditions. With Lithium charging below 32 can damage the cells and ruin the battery, hence why some of them have the cold temp charging shut off if the battery gets to cold. In my garage I won't have that problem. 

I got 4 seasons out of my AGM's and lots of life left... sold them fairly quickly. 

The lithiums are becoming a lot more attractive now that the prices are dropping a bit.  I'd love to get rid of 3 group 31 AGMs :) 

15 minutes ago, BillM said:

The lithiums are becoming a lot more attractive now that the prices are dropping a bit.  I'd love to get rid of 3 group 31 AGMs :) 

Totally agree. I run 4 AGM's (2 31's and 2 24's) on a Lund 1675 Pro Guide lol. 2 trolling motor a house and a starter. 

That is 340lbs in batteries! 

I currently have an ACR that charges the starting battery first from the motor's alternator then flips over to the house battery when the starter is topped up. This set up doesn't work with Lithiums so it will stay that was for a bit.