Miami Airport November

strik

Good evening

I know it's a long shot but I figured I would ask here first...

In November we will have a Saturday to kill in Miami.

Just wondered if anyone has any info, or any help about the area.. 

I'm assuming we will stay close to the airport .

Anyone know of a guide or company.

We will have zero fishing equipment.

Thinking peacock bass would be fun to catch. 

It will be my 13 year old son and I on the trip. Rather keep the group small then run a big boat with lots of others.

Any help is great, especially  the "what not to do"...

Thanks 

Biscayne Bay (downtown Miami) has good inshore fishing  for a number of species. I spent a day fishing there 15 years ago on a corporate "golf and fish" slush event...we fished with a guide on a small centre console flats boat (all equipment supplied). Did well with Redfish, Jacks, and Bonefish. Don't remember the name of the outfit, but there were quite a few operating out of the marina.

• Thanks 1

Hire a guide and go catch baby tarpon. If you hunt around on Google you'll find there are loads of guides in Miami, all of them supply the gear, some will even pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the end of the day. It's not cheap, but you've got almost a year to squirrel away the Pesos ... put a few bucks aside every week and it's easy to save up enough.

A day of baby tarpon fishing is by far the best bang for the buck in south Florida. "Baby" tarpon generally run from 10 to 30 pounds, you get them in numbers close by the marinas (so no long, long rides out to the spots), and they fight like crazy. Imagine catching a whole bunch of adult chinooks by casting swim baits on a bass rod, big difference being the tarpon don't just run, they also jump like they've got a butt full of TNT.

Forget about going for big tarpon, it's too much work for a 13 year-old. Tell the guide you're more interested in numbers and they'll fix you right up.  You'll also probably catch some bonus redfish and snook too, so it's a great experience that you and your lad will remember for the rest of your lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1