Just a few more pics.

Barry Willis

I was too dang tired last night after my trip to do this but here's a few more pics that I hope some of you enjoy. One infared of what appears to be a wild boar or a black bear, it's kinda hard to tell.  I harvested a very big wild boar five years ago in northern Alberta. Over 400lbs of him.  They are a real problem, destroying farmers crops etc. Having been around horses most my life (and I expect this may be boring for some as I know it's not every ones cup of tea) this is the the most beautiful one I have ever seen and his buddy, a beautiful appaloosa with nice dapples. I expect it was maybe a wild horse at one time from the area, as some of the ranchers do capture and break them and they turn out to be the best of the best. That's what I ride. Just to give you an idea of the abundance of the critters, some pics of game trails where I hung my cameras, the whole area for miles and miles in the foothills looks like this, deer moose and God only knows what else, but I'm about to find out LOL. With that much activity I should have lots, I set my cameras for pics and video.  If I can find my wild boar skull I will post a pic of it, it's worth a gander, it has tusks that could rip a man to pieces.

12180085.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

I totally agree TJQ,  now that I'm a little more awake, that trip yesterday took it's toll on me. After closer inspection it looks more like a wild pig. there isn't the hair on it's legs like it should have this time of year and the back and tail aren't right. Even though we've had a mild winter they should be hibernating. I wish it had been a pic during daylight hours. I didn't want to but I pulled my camera out of there because I found signs of deer poaching. So if they will do that I'm sure they will find a way to steel my camera if they come across it.

Edited by Barry Willis

Thank you very much. Having trail cams out yourself I'm sure you can relate, In this case I wish this cam had a flash like they used to rather than infared as things become distorted with infared if the subject is in motion  It' too big to be a coyote and I know it isn't a wolf. One thing I should have mentioned earlier is that the pics of all the tracks are only a week old as there was a snow fall  so that's a lot of activity in a week. I can't wait to see what's on the trail cams. Should be lots. It wouldn't take much to talk me into to going back up to day and check to see what's on them LOL.

Hey Doug, I've been thinking about you for the last few days, long time no hear from. No offence and I appreciate your input but too big for a wolverine. I managed a hog farm in Ontario before we moved to Alberta and the, to me at least, the body proportions look correct. 

Lots of fun pulling cards!  To be honest most of my cameras are cell now, so instant gratification lol.  But I still have a few up at the family camp that are just card cams and I always love seeing what turns up!  Really like getting the lynx on cam!  I still have a couple cams turning in some pics, but they are sporadic at the moment.  I’m suffering from dead batteries and technical difficulties at the moment I think.  I’m gong to have to go out soon to do a battery run and trouble shooting!   Keep the pics coming when you can!

Edited by porkpie

7 hours ago, Barry Willis said:

Hey Doug, I've been thinking about you for the last few days, long time no hear from. No offence and I appreciate your input but too big for a wolverine. I managed a hog farm in Ontario before we moved to Alberta and the, to me at least, the body proportions look correct. 

It was the tail that sent me down that train of thought.....I agree it is a porcine shape but that looks like a bushy tail.  Maybe it will appear in daylight one of these days!

Doug

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Lots of fun pulling cards!  To be honest most of my cameras are cell now, so instant gratification lol.  But I still have a few up at the family camp that are just card cams and I always love seeing what turns up!  Really like getting the lynx on cam!  I still have a couple cams turning in some pics, but they are sporadic at the moment.  I’m suffering from dead batteries and technical difficulties at the moment I think.  I’m gong to have to go out soon to do a battery run and trouble shooting!   Keep the pics coming when you can!

Last year was the year of dying cameras for me, I had three just decide to pack it in and I replaced them with Bushnell Core DS no-glow flash trail cams.  So far I am very impressed with these trail cams, and excellent battery life.  But I have been thinking of getting one or two cellular cams for security purposes.  Can you recommend a particular brand of cellular cams?

Doug

Hi Doug, I appreciate the porcupine theory but having used this trail cam for so long it's just too big. Tomorrow I'm going to send them to one of my Game Warden buddy's as  they have the technology to clean the pic up and determine what it actually is. I'm not gonna rest until I know LOL. I have eight trail cams now, two Bushnell and the rest are different brands from Amazon which  some are in the bush as we converse. So I'll see. My first Bushnell I bought probably well over ten years ago at Bass Pro for $300:00 takes incredible pics still to this day, then I got another Bushnell, and that is the one I've been posting pics from.  I've had others brands in the past that I won't even take out of the house. Bushnell have been the best. There is a new Bushnell I wish I could afford, almost $400 bucks but on the other hand the ones I have do every thing I want them to. My biggest concern with the four I have in the bush right now is as of Saturday, if the batteries (Duracell which from experience I swear by for my cams) will last until the end of January as video eats them up pretty quick. I don't have any with the cell ph. app so at the end of each month when I get my measly old age pension I go up and swap cards and batteries if needed. And I love being there, it's the 90 minute one way boring drive that sucks. This was taken with my old Bushnell, I tried posting a couple more but the forum wouldn't pull them up. As you can see I sometimes put bait in front of the cam to attract more critters for more pics, and it fills their belly to help them through the winter. I had quite a variety out there this time with a lot of scrap meat which kinda back fired on me as the camera took over 11:500 pics of ravens getting their fill. Haha.

DSCN0310.JPG

8 hours ago, akaShag said:

Last year was the year of dying cameras for me, I had three just decide to pack it in and I replaced them with Bushnell Core DS no-glow flash trail cams.  So far I am very impressed with these trail cams, and excellent battery life.  But I have been thinking of getting one or two cellular cams for security purposes.  Can you recommend a particular brand of cellular cams?

Doug

I’ve been very happy with the Tactacam reveal.  Not so happy with Spypoint, although I have had a couple of spypoint cell links that did way better than expected!  That said, I have one tactacam out of 4 that has been eating batteries lately, so I’m not sure what that’s all about.   Could be I ran into a bad box of Costco cells?   I’ve never used them before , but I’ve heard very positive reviews about the bushnell cellular cameras.  If your already happy with the products, it might be something to look into? What I’ve heard the most positives about is Tactacam and bushnell.  My experience with Tactacam has been mostly all good.  My experience with spypoint has been varied and I hear a lot of negative chatter and have a couple buddies that have run into some troubles with them as well.  I think it’s a bit of a crapshoot.

I also have a Spypoint which I have had nothing but trouble with and a Stealth Cam which takes the most horrible pics and videos I have ever seen. JUNK. They are going in the recycling bin tomorrow morning. I never should have posted that pic of the lynnx as it sucks for some reason and does not do justice for my boasting about Bushnell but that was the only pic the forum would allow me to post for some reason, so I left it there being the critter it is for Doug to see. Bushnell also have a incredible battery saver. And speaking of batteries as much as I swear by Duracell I got a bad batch a while back, and Duracell claims they have a 12 year shelf life. I had a new camera in the yard just to test it and every two days I was having to replace the batteries. They were dated for 2035. First time in 20 years, so I guess I can not complain. There is good and bad in every thing from batteries to vehicles. One trail cam I must make mention of that I am very impressed with especially for the price is Campark, this thing blows my mind, pics, video and unbelievable audio. It picks up, and very clearly, peoples voices having a normal conversation 40 yards away.  

I have 3 Campark minis on the trails at our family camp. I really like them and have been overall pretty impressed. I love the small profile and they hide well.  This is a bonus for finding out which neighbour likes to trespass LOL. The one issue I have is that I find the batteries don’t last as long as it’s only a 4 AA camera but otherwise your right they are awesome little cameras.  I did have one crap the bed just recently but it’s one of my ones down south on some farm property and it’s been running hard year round for almost 4 seasons so what do you want for a $40 camera!  Are these the same ones your using? I pulled them in last night for new batteries, pull cards and put them in new spots today.  The rabbits are in trouble… my kids are loading the .22s as I post this.  Poor buggers are all white and no snow in the bush….

374F85E8-7318-4221-841E-E509B1597DA9.jpeg

Edited by porkpie

Posted (edited)

Good morning, man I am feeling sorry for the rabbits LOL. It will be great fun. I used to rabbit hunt with some very awesome hounds all the time back there. Jack rabbits were a blast. I used a 22 magnum for them, love that caliber. After a while they would head across country, we would drive around trying to head them off but it rarely happened as the hounds would be well behind the rabbit making it difficult to determine where the rabbit was. Unfortunately at times we would not find the dogs until the following day, they loved what they were doing and were very devoted to it. The trail cam in the middle of your pic appears to be the same as mine just a different color. Mine is a T70. It was on Kijiji brand new in the box for $60 and I got for $40 and he delivered it right to the door. I have not tried the mini ones yet but have been thinking about it as you mentioned they are affordable and easier to conceal which are both important to me. Thanks for sharing the info about them to me, I just was not sure about them. Good luck to the kids and their rabbit hunt. Wish I was there, it has been a spell. I am going to try and find my wild boar skull today and post a pick of it. I think you will like it. He was a big old bruiser.

Edited by Barry Willis
miss spelling as usual LOL.
  • Like 1

Stew tomorrow!  Haven’t seen a Jack in a long time back at home.  I used to hunt over in King township as a kid for jack rabbit and pheasant.  Still hunt deer there, plenty of those around.  No jackrabbits, definitely no pheasants!  Good deal on the cam!

663CBFF9-6E3D-427B-B42F-C51D8A733212.jpeg

• Like 1

Back home again and at the computer after a few days away.

Back to Barry, I said a porcine shape (like a pig), not a porcupine, I agree there is no way that is a porcupine.

Thanks guys for the thoughts on trail cams.

I will NEVER buy a Spypoint again, I had three of them.  After a total of 5 new replacements for the original 3, they refused to honour their warranty.  Absolute garbage, the worst trail cams I have used.  (They were NOT cellular, just regular trail cams).

Doug

• Like 1

I am wondering if in fact the tail is bushy, if he was swinging it, or wagging it, which does not seem likely but if so being at night the infared with the slow shutter speed may have distorted it and made it appear bushy. Spoke to Fish And Wildlife yesterday and they are concerned about if it is a wild pig, so I will be sending it off to them this morning as soon as I hear from them as to where to send it. It may be to a wildlife biologist. Should be interesting.

• Like 1