Waterfalls Lodge

Pochucker

I've booked trip for mid June next year . It's chain of 4/5 lakes. Near Spanish Ontario. Im mainly interested in Smallies and Pike. I've scoured net reading reviews and find varying reviews. Not like i'm expecting 50 fish a day which some people seem too. Im strictly catch and release. Anyone have any experience with lodge or area? Been 3 yrs since Iv'e made the trip to Canada because of the covid I'm really looking forward to getting back up there with my Grandson.

Edited by Pochucker

We fished there 5 years ago for 3 days in September. We mainly stayed on Tube and Kecil Lakes. I'd describe the fishing as mediocre at best. Some dink Smallmouth, a few hammer-handle Pike and one lone small Walleye. Perhaps it was the weather, we were there just after a strong early fall cold front pushed through...temp went from 23c to 12c overnight the day we arrived.

Not sure if you saw this review:

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/threads/waterfalls-lodge-spanish-river-review.616604/

Only a few minutes away is the mouth of the Spanish River...Whalesback Channel (the North Channel of Lake Huron). We've been there twice in the last few years...both times for a week in September. Some of the best drive-to fishing this side (east) of Sault Ste Marie in my experience. Excellent Smallmouth...quantity and quality...plenty of 20"+ fish. Good Pike in  the 30 to 40" range...and shots at big Musky. Never a problem catching enough Walleye for a fish fry. We stayed at Brennan Harbour Resort...which I highly recommend...James and his wife are great hosts ! There are other places that are on the same water like Blue Heron and Vance's that looked good too.

One other thing...in June the Bass will be on the beds up there, not sure how you feel about that..

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

I just took another look at the reg's...Bass is closed there until the third Saturday in June...it's only open year round west of where the Serpent River crosses hwy 17. Hopefully, the lodge is not promoting catching them earlier than that even if it's catch & release 

Thanks for the info CrowMan. Not sure your interpretation of the rules  is correct. The lodge has on its website that it is open year round. Either way im totally catch and release and a non bait fisherman.

• All waters north of Highway 17 and all waters west of where the east bank of the Serpent River crosses Highway 17

Even though it may look like big water, it fishes a lot smaller. No matter how big the blow, with all the islands, bays and inlets there's always a calm spot to get out of the wind. As long as you stay within Whalesback Channel (and there's no need to go further) there really aren't any long stretches of open water for big rollers to develop. I would certainly feel more than comfortable in a 16 ft tinner regardless of any wind.

We never had a problem finding fish...if you have Navionics,  finding weed edges, extended underwater points and offshore reefs shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the owners provide you with a map with lots of fishing spots marked (and hazards) and are always helpful in putting you on fish..

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Even though it may look like big water, it fishes a lot smaller. No matter how big the blow, with all the islands, bays and inlets there's always a calm spot to get out of the wind. As long as you stay within Whalesback Channel (and there's no need to go further) there really aren't any long stretches of open water for big rollers to develop. I would certainly feel more than comfortable in a 16 ft tinner regardless of any wind.

We never had a problem finding fish...if you have Navionics,  finding weed edges, extended underwater points and offshore reefs shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the owners provide you with a map with lots of fishing spots marked (and hazards) and are always helpful in putting you on fish..

I'd love to get up there for a few days of muskie hunting but man that water is even more daunting then the parts of GBay I already fish.