Pleasant Cove Resort

Hutch

Morning, First timer so let me introduce myself. Bought a boat last summer so I'm slowly finding my way around. Most of the time I head out somewhere in the Kawarthas dragging my two sons along. Rekindled my love for the outdoors.

Booked a week at "Pleasant Cove Resort" in Point-Au-Baril (Georgian Bay). And I was wondering if anyone has been up there and could offer some spots. guides or advice. Fishing for anything that bites. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard!

I dont know much about pleasant cove resort but have heard great things!

Its been a few years since I have fished that area of gbay but you can expect big pike, walleye (depending on when you go and time of year) some monster smallies and there are a few really really massive musky.

Trolling spoons, tossing spinners seem to be the easiest way to get into fish on any part of gbay. Your best bet may be to ask the resort where to go and what to use to get into fish right away then do some expeirementing of your own after that.

Cheers!

I stayed their during new years and relaxed and quadded most of the time.

The resort is really nice and the people who work there take care of you !!!!!!!!!!

Havent fished the area but I heard the fishing can be quite good at times !

that's quite a bit further north than those two fish I think. i have been out there but limited success with muskies so far. definately go slow at first till you get a feel for the area, lotsa rocks. the water is stained close to port and gets progressively clearer the further you go out to the bay. in the dirty areas once you see the rocks it could be too late.

Welcome Hutch, I never stayed at Pleasant Cove, Dad did but like in 1961, they have been around a long time. It has been a long time since my last trip up to Pointe Au Baril but for a first timer use caution until you know your way around, there are lots of rocks in the water and a lot of islands, be aware of where you are.

The water for the most part is well sheltered unless you run all the way out to the main GB, I tooled around there as a kid in a 14 foot Aluminum with a 5hp motor. There are navigation maps available, I got one here in Ohio at a marine store years ago.

It is a beautiful area, fishing pressure has probably increased since my last trip there in 1989, but a lot of species available. Bass, largemouth and smallmouth, Walleye, pike, Muskies, panfish, catfish, gar pike, bowfin, carp, you name it.

Panfish like perch and bluegill are all over, also some crappie but we didn`t usually fish for panfish. Bass more or less where you would expect them to be, Largemouth in the weeds and lilies smallies in deeper weeds, around rocks and reefs, points. There are some good areas very close to Pleasant Cove, it wasn`t unusual to find some 18 to 20 inchers. At times you can find them both in the same area.

A Johnson silver minnow with a pork frog snaked thru the lilies, an unweighted plastic lizard texas rigged or texas rigged jerk bait have worked. Surface lures like a buzzbait, jitterbug, hula popper, heddon torpedo, pop-r also work. Most of your bass lures will take other species. First choice for smallies would be tubes, points, deeper weed edges, around rocks and reefs.

Lures like a perch or silver and black rapala floating or diving minnow also work, for a variety of species.

There were lots of small pike up to six pounds or so, bigger ones not as common and took more work to find them. Not a lot of skis, but some huge ones.

I have caught walleye on a number of different lures there, toughest part was finding them, they can be just about anywhere. Try up the river, points off of the main channel, around some of the islands in Shawanaga bay. PM for more info.

Hutch,

We we have been up there a couple of times for the last three years. Bruce is the owner and he will take care of you. Give them a call and he can set you up with a real experienced guide. I echo what Ohiofisherman said, careful when you are navigating the water, we know the area pretty well and my brother in law still managaged to take out his prop ($300 later). Fishing is great, Pike, Bass and walleye, you can usaually hook into a couple monster pike. We were up for the long weekend in May, a father and son were out early morning, first time taking his son fishing and he caught a 14Lbs Pike trolling out from the resort.

We did not catch any monsters but we had a great time, here are some pictures of fish all caught from about 5min form the resort. Xrap perch pattern has given me the best luck up there.

Good Luck, take lots of pictures.

100_0921.jpg

mikewithpike.jpg

andywithpike-1.jpg