French River Newbie

Justmyluck

Me and three friends are staying at French River Lodge the first week in August. This will be our first trip to this area. My Ontario experience is fishing in the small lakes around Nakina and Rowan Lake. Any suggestions for pike and smallmouth would be helpful. I normally troll spoons, rapalas, spinnerbaits and then cast the coves & bays looking for weedbeds. Should I expect to do the same? How important is a depth finder? We like to have a shore lunch, does this area have places to beach the boat and cook? Also, do we need to bring groceries or do they have an adequate store @ the lodge? Thanks again for any help. Can't wait.

Well, I never stayed at French river lodge, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. I lived in the area so I never stayed at any of the lodges.

Groceries.... The lodge will have some of the basics available but I would make sure you bring your own food. You can always call the lodge and ask! That might be a good idea!

Fishing.... Pike, I have always liked Williams wobblers, silver or silver and gold. Red devils, Five of dimonds, Those will produce pike most of the time, some larger.... #6+ mepps in silver or bronze are good choices too.

There are some nice bass up there too so don't sell yourself short on that, a few top water and a few plastics. Pickerel jigs tipped with a twister tail especially in the morning or evening and anywhere you can find a back eddy or a bit of current..... a few husky jerks or rapalas cast into the shallows above any fast shallow water or into a bay near deep water should put a few fish in the boat for you.

Don't rule out after dark fishing either. There are some monster chanel catfish in the French River system and boy do they put up one heck of a fight. You'll want a heavy rod and some strong line for those brutes. A dead frog or chunck of fresh liver works well for them. Fish on the bottom in a shallow inlet but near deep water. If you hook one you will have a fight you will never forget. Pound for pound they are one of the toughest fish I have ever run into.

so many years of experience is hard to impart in a post like this but ask your hosts and they will do everything they can to help you, that is their business!

I truly hoope you enjoy your stay and look forward to your posts to tell us of your trip!

Big Cliff

I've not stayed at the FRL, but have stopped by there a few times. In years past, I have stayed at Brear's Den Lodge, just a few miles from where you will be staying. Once you leave Hartley Bay Marina, on the right-hand side, you'll pass BDL.

I have mainly fished for pike in the Wanipatae Bay, which you will boat through. We primarily focused around rocky points and weed beds around the islands. We had some good success on spoons as Big Cliff stated above. My PB pike came from this area and measured in at 37 1/2. I caught her burning a spinner bait through the weeds. I typically add a 6" twister tail to the spinner for a little something extra. On the day following my PB, my step-son landed a 37" Pike just a couple islands away, also in a weed-bed that ran the length of the island.

As you head down the channel, past Bear's Den, you will make left and head towards FRL. If you would continue straight, you'll immediately see a series of about three long islands on your left. This is where I did a lot of my fishing.

You'll go a little further and make another left to head through the 'S' Curves on your way to FRL. Just before you make this final left turn, look over to your right and you 'll see a little bay. There is a nice weed-bed in there and that is where I caught my PB.

Good luck and post some pics when you get back.

Cliff & Rich, it's great to see you 2 boyz offering up so much valuable info to a new member, without asking him to reveal his entire life story to the world, like has unfortunately become the norm around here lately.

Reminds me of the way this board used to be, when we shared info with new friends......just because they asked :thumbsup_anim:

Cliff & Rich, it's great to see you 2 boyz offering up so much valuable info to a new member, without asking him to reveal his entire life story to the world, like has unfortunately become the norm around here lately.

Reminds me of the way this board used to be, when we shared info with new friends......just because they asked :thumbsup_anim:

well said! I never posted an intro myself and nobody ever came down on me.

Justmyluck......I hope you have a great trip.

Cheers!

Thank you for all of the valuable information, I appreciate it very much. I will follow up with our success story when I return(I Hope). It sounds similar to the type of fishing I am used to but we don't normally fish rivers, mostly lakes. I'm not sure what to expect but I know it will be fun figuring it out. Any ideas on whether I need a depth finder?

Thanks Lew. I've only fished a few places in Ontario, as I return to the same places year after year. That being said, I don't have a wide variety of knowledge as many on here do. BUT - once in a while a question is asked about a place that I have fished, and I'll jump at that chance and give whatever help I can. I mentioned a couple specific places, but it's my way of seizing an opportunity to help others, just as I have been helped by many of my friends here.

You won't need a depth finder, most of the fishing you will be doing is going to be in fairly shallow water anyway and if you are using a depth finder to watch for shoals..... you'll have taken the lower unit off the boat before the finder will show you that it is there.

As for shore lunches.... no trip to the French River would be complete without a shore lunch. When I lived there you could camp anywhere that wasn't private property, I understand that that might have changed now and you might have to pay a fee. Sorry, you should check that out with the lodge too.

Thanks for the kind words Lew, just trying to pay it forward.

Edited by Big Cliff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a great place. We caught a ton of little smallmouth and a few around 20" . Not too many pike but did catch a 31" which was fun. Only a few small walleye. A couple of the guys had never fished before so it was exciting. The lodge and surrounding area were beautiful. It was rather warm but no rain so no complaints. Thanks again for all of the help, I'll try to post some pics when I get them.