Lure advice

Yellow14

I am planning to go go out and fish off the Lakehurst causeway over Pigeon and Buckhorn Lake on Saturday evening and need some advice on lures and colours to use. I was there last weekend and had success using Northland Tackle Slurpies (perch colour) for panfish, actually caught a 12-13" largemouth with it. I lost a white and silver Jawbreaker spoon though which I will probably replace since I noticed a couple other people using a similar lure with some success.

I have a frog lure for the surface and a few black white jigs with White Yum Walleye grubs that got some attention last time as well as a nice jointed minnow lure that looks to have some potential but it also runs pretty shallow. Can anyone give me advice on what other lures I should look at adding to my collection for Buckhorn, Lower Buckhorn, Pigeon and Chemong lakes? I noted in some previous threads that combinations with black seem to be popular choices for those lakes.

One other question actually. How long do those scented baits like Yum and Gulp and the Slurpies last in the water before I should replace them with a fresh one?

Thanks for any advice everyone.

Doh! I know I had originally written that I was fishing for bass and walleye but I must have edited it out when I was proof-reading my post. So basically I am looking for lure choices for bass and walleye on the cluster of lakes between Peterborough and Buckhorn.

If it's not too weedy where you are fishing, then I find crank baits can be very successful. If they are not agressively hitting, try altering your retrieve by stopping for about 10 seconds, then start up again. Vary your retrieve speed too....from verrry slow to fast. Try either Wallydivers or Rapalas. The size will be determined by how deep the water is, as larger ones typically dive deeper.

I dont fish for Bass, so I cant help you on that one!

Good luck!

Try the spot at the opposite end of where the boats go through where there is the opening under the causeway. Many people call the bridge Gannons Narrows. I have always had better luck on the leeward side of the causeway (opposite side the wind is blowing).

Try 4" yum dingers rigged texas style with the smallest bullet weight you can find. Takes it to the bottom, but doesn't hinder the action all that much. Pop it and retrieve, fish it slow.

If that doesn't work try the #1 bait of all time - the curly tail grub - I prefer 3" power grub in pumpkinseed with a 1/8 oz. unpainted jighead, Sometimes I rig it with a safetypin spinner just for chits and giggles.

Good luck.

Hey Yellow14:

You can always use a 1/2oz spinnerbait and fish it fast over top the weeds or fish it at different speeds over the weeds and try to slow it where there is a pocket in the weeds. That would be a good search bait to try.

Also you could look at using the Senko bait on a 3/0 hook and see what happens.

Just a few idea's to try.

Good luck!

Army X

Spikester

I don`t know the water you are fishing, but bass and walleye will herd minnows to the shoreline, like a causeway and trap them and pick them off as they come out. A shallow to medium running crankbait can work well sometimes, lures like a rattletrap, bandit 100 and 200 series, storm wiggle wart. I prefer chrome and black, gold and black, chrome and blue to match baitfish.

If the causeway sides are covered with rip-rap(stone-rock) a crawfish color or lure that imitates one can also work well.

Or you could try leeches,and a weedless jig,with a sliding bullett sinker,and fish the holes in the weeds,as well as casting and reeling in slowly,we used to fish there alot when we didnt have a boat,it worked real well....give it a try and it will work....good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

My first bait would be a spinner bait. Either chartreuse and white or a Northam perch pattern. I caught my last two wally's on spinnerbaits and although it doesn't seem to be the most popular bait choice for that species it worked for me. Bass also love hitting spinnerbaits. Another unconventional approach but probably the most fun is topwater. I caught a walleye (yes walleye) on topwater (chug bug blue/orange belly) a few weeks ago. Bass also love topwater so it's easy. Throw any of these baits and who knows what you'll catch? It's a surprise bag every time. If you're going to try crankbaits just match your depth. A ripplin redfin should work good for shallow with almost everything hitting these as well. If you're going deeper the wally diver or Rapala shad raps (like Cliff suggested) should work great. Maybe most importantly, pick what you feel comfortable with. Confidence means everything. Oh yeah .... have fun.

Edited by kennyman