Question on fishing in Ontario Lakes

Many Many... years ago my father would take me and my brothers finishing up in northern in Ontario. We would fish all day and bring back the largest fish we caught.... returning smaller ones back into to the lake. When we caught fish we would put them on these chains that attached to the side of the boat. A Clip was put through the gill of the fish and then closed. The chain with fish attached via the gill was then lowered into the lake while we continued to fish.

I have not fished since those days back in the 1970's. I am taking my children to a cottage this summer and want to make sure I follow the proper rules in Ontario. I did pick up a fishing guide but it does not tell me how to "keep" fish while still out fishing? My brother has told me that those 'gill chains' are not legal anymore in Ontario.... Is this true?

What I need to know is how do I keep the fish alive properly while still out fishing. Can those Gill chains still be used? What abouot these large baskets that you lower into the water? Do I need to bring an empty cooler or something to put the fish in?

Please help

Thanks

Many Many... years ago my father would take me and my brothers finishing up in northern in Ontario. We would fish all day and bring back the largest fish we caught.... returning smaller ones back into to the lake. When we caught fish we would put them on these chains that attached to the side of the boat. A Clip was put through the gill of the fish and then closed. The chain with fish attached via the gill was then lowered into the lake while we continued to fish.

I have not fished since those days back in the 1970's. I am taking my children to a cottage this summer and want to make sure I follow the proper rules in Ontario. I did pick up a fishing guide but it does not tell me how to "keep" fish while still out fishing? My brother has told me that those 'gill chains' are not legal anymore in Ontario.... Is this true?

What I need to know is how do I keep the fish alive properly while still out fishing. Can those Gill chains still be used? What abouot these large baskets that you lower into the water? Do I need to bring an empty cooler or something to put the fish in?

Please help

Thanks

Those "gill chains" are called "stringers" and are not recommended if you plan on releasing a fish, as they can cause gill damage. I dont believe they are illegal...esp if you are keeping your catch. Here's a few notes from the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters...(http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/Hold.cfm)

• Never put a fish that you may release on a stringer, use a functional livewell or release the fish immediately
  • Remember that all fish kept (in a livewell, on a stringer, etc.) and not immediately released count towards your daily catch and retain or possession limit.

If you might release a fish, then use a livewell in your boat, with circulating water so that oxygen levels stay high. You can use a cooler filled with lake water, you'll want to dump fresh water in there periodically....again to keep the oxygen levels up.

Tips on releasing are:

• Revive the fish before letting go. Hold the fish upright in a swimming position in the water, moving the fish slowly forward and backward so water runs through the gills.
  • Ensure the fish is breathing and can swim away under its own power before it is released.
  • Consider the water temperatures when release larger fish (Muskie/Northern Pike)

Hope this helps...others on this board will probably have better advice....hopefully some chime in!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Be aware that on some Ontario lakes, it's illegal to possess live fish. The lake that I fish mostly is such a lake. It's not a common regulation, but it does exist on some lakes and rivers in the province.

IMO it is better to keep the smaller fish for the table and let the larger, more seasoned fish go back to breed. The larger fish usually are more "gamey" or fishy tasting (go figure?) and not great anyway.

IMO it is better to keep the smaller fish for the table and let the larger, more seasoned fish go back to breed. The larger fish usually are more "gamey" or fishy tasting (go figure?) and not great anyway.

Not true for for all species. The world class Nipigon species of Brook Trout says otherwise. And the formula is working great. Keep the big one(s), and release the small ones. The smaller ones are the ones that reproduce. The big ones (5, 6, 7 lbs. or more) are past their prime and will die soon. It's all mathematics. You simply can't apply one rule to all species of fish.

When I know I'm gonna keep fish, I bring along the cooler and a lot of crushed ice. Any fish to be kept is killed immediately by slitting the throat at the gills to bleed the fish, gutted, and thrown on the ice. Gutting is optional, if you are squeamish, but taking these steps ensures a much finer tasting fish.