My Great Ontario Fish Quest continues...

Well folks, here is the latest installment of my fish quest.

Not surprisingly I was out targeting bass. I went out Sunday to the Toronto Islands to knock another fish species off my list for this year (officially - seeing as I had accidentally hooked into a few pre-season). Unfortunately I got out there late - about 11am - which meant it was already scorching hot, busy with people and boats. I did find a quiet spot to sit and fish for a few hours. Targeted the edge of weedy areas with either rapalas or float and worm combo. Fishing was really slow - all the fisher folk passing by me had had no luck, so I felt good about myself that after about an hour managed to persuade a shy 1lb bass out from under the weed with a worm. Another fish off the list and my first on my new 8ft 6' ugly stik. :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_354_52_63471.jpg

gallery_354_52_200052.jpg

gallery_354_52_136336.jpg

I continued in the same spot in vain for quite a while until the sun had moved and left me without any shade. After a lunch break and a few photos of the local inhabitants, I continued to target the weedy shallows for anything that swam past as the bass had clearly retreated to the weed to avoid the midday sun. :sleeping_02: I managed to catch a few pumpkinseed sunfish but even they weren't that interested - many still spawning. Also managed a perch.

med_gallery_354_52_128042.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_46535.jpg

gallery_354_52_210477.jpg

I decided to go for a walk to the channel at Hanlans Point to see how busy it was at the spots I had fished for carp on Monday - no real chance of fishing for the big carp with the amount of boat traffic and moored boats along there. :wallbash:

med_gallery_354_52_47195.jpg

So back to my first location. Sure enough, with the sun starting to drop in the sky and the shadows getting longer the bass were coming out of the hiding places, though it didn't make them easier to catch! With all the fish fry around they were having a ball, no need to go after my bait or lures. It was pretty cool to see the bass, like small whales cruising around mouth wide open devouring all the little fish as they tried in vain to escape by jumping out of the water. Fotunately my persistence paid off and I did manage to hook one - about 3lbs in weight - which after a quick picture was released to continue terrorizing this year's offspring. :devil:

med_gallery_354_52_195731.jpg

Nice day out. Mission accomplished. But fishing was very slow and place was very busy - oh I long for another day off work to fish the islands in peace and quiet.

Looking forward to targeting smallmouth bass and catching my first ever walleye up at Restoule PP this weekend now. :Gonefishing:

Cheers

P.S - Quest update - Species caught so far this year = Largemouth Bass, Common Carp, Yellow Perch, White Sucker, Brown Bullhead, Pumpkinseedfish, Rock Bass, Bluegill, White Perch, Common Shiner, Golden Shiner, Creek Chub, and Lake Chub. + Northern Pike lost at boatside. :whistling:

Edited by OO7

Congrats on your first LMbass, they are fun aren't they? Wait until you get your first Smallie...Looks like you're knocking the species off your list in good time....I'll be looking forward to your report from Restoull next week.

Maureen

Motv8tr - the bass sure are fun when they jump - though I do lose a lot that way when they shake the hook. It wasn't my first bass ever just of this season - am looking forward to many more this season.

Jediangler - LOL

dsn - haven't had any luck with the bowfin yet - the last two years I have seen one cruise past me at the islands in June but it hasn't been interested in my bait.

CCMTCanada - There is probably too many species to catch (50+) - I just want to try and catch as many different ones as possible in the year (small or large), and then see if anyone will try to take on the challenge and have fun beating it!! B)

I guess the key ones to still get would be the popular species like smallmouth bass, pike (actually net one rather keep losing them), musky, walleye, salmon, few varieties of trout. But I am looking forward to hopefully catching a few of the unusual ones which are perhaps more interesting too - like bowfin, drum, white bass.

Hopefully I can catch a walleye and smallie or may be even a surprise pike or musky this weekend. Fingers crossed.