Final few outings for the season

gordy28

Other than the slight chance I get out for steel head I am done fishing until the lakes start to freeze up

Did manage to get out twice in September.

Spent time with friends at the family cottage - kids had a blast catching rock bass and smallies off the dock

I ducked out really early one AM - this is my view down the bay - love being on the water as the sun comes up

TbT8gXN.jpg

Was out for about an hour and a half. Caught quite a few little smallies but eventually got into this guy. A favourite technique of mine - size 9 or 11 original rapala floater in gold florescent red/gold. Cast it out and mix it up between a jerk bait and a topwater. Always amazed at the amount of times a bass comes up to smash it on the surface

XREOhoj.jpg

End of September (day of the Fall equinox to be exact) headed out to Balsam for a day of whatever came our way. Man it was hot - water temp was 75 degrees mid day - hotter than we had seen all year. Stumbled onto a weird (to me) patter - key seemed to be finding shoals or shorelines with hard rocky bottoms (needed to be boulders) within a cast of a weed bed. Smallies were just cruising even with the sun as high and hot as it was. At first we tried casting cranks, jerkbaits, spinners and spinner baits - nothing. Switched to a wacky rig worm (Z Man ZinkerZ - a bew fave) Very fun - caught quite a few dinks but hit these two good ones. Biggest one was sighted and cast to - he turned like a snook, charged the lure and fought like a champ. One thing - my bro was fishing the exact same rig, different colour - I had 5 fish to his one. He switched to my colour and immediately had more success.

vgyV61c.jpg

5H7iuOf.jpg

Last outing was the most fun. My daughter has always been interested in fishing but like most kids she needs action and the ability to shift the plan when she wants. She doesn't love fishing out of the boat but really enjoys the dock. A friend introduced me to a local trout pond run by a municipality. I am a terrible trout guy but he showed me some things and eventually I caught a few. Took my daughter once - we saw everyone else catch fish but us! Dad fail - although she had fun and was keen to go back. Went back on the Monday of Thanksgiving - pond was quiet which was nice. Few minutes in my daughter sees a trout roll - says Dad I am going to cast over there (I am still rigging up my rod) - 30 seconds later she yells fish on (I turn to look thinking she is snagged or hooked on a weed) but sure enough fish on. Fish onto the stringer and that set the tone - we caught lots, the deal was even if I hooked a fish I would give her my rod and she could reel it in (she did let me manage the whole process once lol). We had a blast and most importantly she starting peppering me on when we could go again, when we could go somewhere else, could she come on my fishing trips with me. Exactly what I was hoping to hear

IB5abBh.jpg

This winter I will be looking at a canoe - most likely a sportspal - something her and I can use to fish local lakes/ponds together. She is also interested in ice fishing so a trip or two to Simcoe is in the works and maybe a trip to Haliburton to a new family cottage thats stocked with rainbows

Cheers and thanks for reading

Gordy

Thanks guys

Brian def want a square back especially with my daughter being my main fishing partner as I need to have free hands a lot to help her

Was a good season for me. Fished quite a few times local which was new and nice and feel like I made good progress in terms of making my daughter a fishing partner lol

Love the fall as well. Especially this fall with lots of sunny days

Gordy