Can I catch a Coaster from the beach?

B. Jarvinen

Greetings from the south shore of Superior - Michigan.

I am looking to learn about Coasters.

The way I understand it, the latest theory is that simple stream population totals of Brookies creates Coasters. So if fishing for Brookies is more limited, more Brookies will exist in a stream and then more will opt out to the big Lake.

Has this become true anywhere in Ontario besides the famous fishery in Nipigon? (And how has that been lately?) I believe Minnesota has had success with an improving Coaster fishery via tight limits on Brook Trout.

Michigan is experimenting with the same idea on a dozen streams. I haven't been able to fish those.

But I know some streams where I am at ... well, tales are told. I know the streams hold Brookies, but are hardly fished.

I want to catch a Coaster, but it's a mysterious topic.

When do they start "Coasting" ? I have heard July. But that creates many other questions - what time-frame are they in-shore vs. in the river vs. back out to deeper waters?

I want to fish for them from the beach - is this worth pursuing? My only idea is to throw a crawler out on a rig normally used with spawn for Steelhead. And, I was thinking to try casting a little bit too. I already catch Cohos in small creek lagoons on Superior, simple enough. I would of course try the lagoon first but it wouldn't take long to discover a Coaster willing to strike.

I caught four nice Brookies just a couple dozen yards up from a lagoon the last couple days, all 10"+. I kept one that started to bleed but otherwise have no plans to do so. The one I kept had a surprise - small spawn inside about the size I would have usually seen in stream Brookies at the end of the open season for them in late September.

I wonder a few other things - can a Coaster come out of the same stream as Steelhead do? Does the Nipigon River have a Steelhead run?

And how long do Coasters live? Do they spawn more than once? I know Brookies are technically neither a Trout nor a Salmon, which differ on that question.

A Coaster is a Brook Trout that has gone out from a stream to the Great Lakes and then returns to spawn. They also do this on the Atlantic coast.

I'm not looking for spots to fish - I have those figured out already. It would be nice to know runs have developed elsewhere than Nipigon, non-specifically, as has slowly become the case in Minnesota via a 20" size restriction, I believe.

I'm trying to figure out tactics. I'm not really sure when Coasters are where. Specifically, when I can try beach Steelhead tactics, or try the lagoon. Some lagoons I want to try would close here on Sep. 30 and I could only fish from the beach.

Maybe they are too rare to target and I should stick to stream Brookies and hope to catch a Coaster accidentally while fishing for fall Coho.

I think Brookie habitat is always improving but fishing pressure on certain small streams is declining. The one I hope to find Coasters at also hosts Steelhead however. It is one of those creeks that is so small, I can't imagine actually trying to land a large lake run fish in - and thus is one to fish at the mouth only. My best Coho creek is like that.

One thing I can share re: Superior Cohos is I am really looking forward to the fall of 2018, after seeing a great run here in 2015. For that matter, I am really looking forward to seeing what this fall brings.

I have no experience with coasters, or your area, but I would try when you have a good offshore wind. An offshore wind pushes the warm water away from shore, and the cold water wells up near shore, bringing cold water species closer to shore. That's all I have for you.

S.

Ahh, the "flip" - I am familiar with this from fishing Lake Michigan. I am still trying to learn this on Superior, where the cold tributary water could well be warmer than the lake water.

The offshore wind is tricky. Only a strong one works, for fishing success with the water temp change. A light wind merely serves to blow all the goodies (that Trout like to eat) out to deeper waters I think. And there are a lot dynamics with the plume of water from the trib involved as well.

I did read a capture/survey study from Minnesota, where many of their historical Coaster-potential waters are short stream segments from the Lake to a barrier Falls. It found the Brookies only entering the stream starting in October with water temps in the low 40s F.

But that wind idea is a good one, thanks. Where I am at though, an offshore wind will be a South wind - hot. Hmmm.

It doesn't need to be too windy here on the north shore of lake O for it to flip, but It helps that we need a north wind.

Warmer water is less dense, so moves fairly easily. A steady off shore wind is all it takes. Day 2 of a steady south breeze could help you.

Its alawys worth a shot!

S.