Navionics/helix5 questions

Bass Tard

Hey guys and gals. So, in the fall I picked up a Humminbird helix5 that a member on here happened to point out was on clearance at Canadian Tire for 50% off. So, I got the unit for like $250, good deal, yeah?! Then I get to wanting to install the unit, of course, on the weekend of bass opener. Turns out that the mount that comes with the unit is no good-o. So, $80+ on a RAM mount. The thing is sick, I'll admit that.

Then I start to wonder about the maps. Looks like Navionics is the way to go for Ontario here. So, what I don't fully understand is:

Which map pack do I need? Seems like the website sells the whole Canada one for $200. I also see people trying to buy the chips used on here, they seem to sell for about $100, but I've also seen guys on Kijiji trying to sell smaller maps than all of Canada for over $200. What are my options here? Do I trust used ones? If I buy one on a standard sd card, can I transfer the files onto my computer and then onto a micro SD?!

Why is it so much freaking money, too?! Same maps I have on my phone for $15?

Thanks.

Yes it's a lot of money. If you fish a lot and rely on your sonar and GPS, it's worth it. Yes the maps are pretty much the same as the ones on your phone for $15. Yes it's a bit of a rip, but I wouldn't be without it. I was out in the fog this morning and knowing exactly where I am is priceless to me. If you want to fork out the cash, the chip that lets you download whatever part of Ontario is the one to go with. Probably $200. I like having my phone along but navionics takes a lot of battery and I wouldn't rely on it for navigation. That's just me.

you get two options as it relates to navionics for Canada.

You can buy "north america" or you can buy "Canada and Alaska"

unfortunately the smaller map options or as they call them "Navionics regions" are only available for areas of the United States.

Lakemaster also has charted the American side of some of the great lakes but unfrotunately, also not an option for Canadians.

So for the Helix your two options are buy "north america" or buy "canada and alaska" To find them used can be difficult unless you find someone that is upgrading to platinum and you can get their standard card. I Tried but had to bite the bullet and just buy new.

The chips come on a standard SD card with a micro SD slide out...no need to transfer data over they give you what you need.

I used navionics on my phone for the past couple of years, its ok if you know your way around...but to navigate properly for an extended period of time, or to use while fishing...not a chance. Kills your battery far too fast.

Edited by AKRISONER

I have the Helix 7 with GPS and down imaging.

Don't waste your money on the Navionics + card, the charts you download from their site are way OFF.

Shows shoals were there isn't any, depths are way off. One spot I was fishing showed me on land with my boat. :worthy::wallbash:

I also have the Fish-N-Chip and it's way off.

Now they tell me I need to buy a program for $200.00 and a 32GB micro card to make my own chart. :worthy::wallbash::devil: