Winds on Colpoy Bay/Wiarton

We have been invited for next week up to Paisley on the Bruce to fish by a buddy from Hamilton that just moved up that way a few months ago. He has been told Colpoy Bay is good right now. He has not had a chance to fish yet this spring. I can't get any info for the bay on any of my wind prediction sites, I use Windfinder and Sailflow. Closest data is Owen Sound. My question if anyone has fished Colpoy is how does the bay react compared to the main south area of Georgian Bay? It sure looks protected from south, west and north winds. A stiff wind from the east would be a problem I would think. He has asked a few guys up there but no help yet. He is after all a stranger. I told him to go to The Legion in Wiarton and buy a round, they may at least give him some "fishy" stories.

Ted has fished there but it has been years and can't recall how the winds react. We are taking the 21 foot StarCraft Heritage and all the stuff we use to get deep etc. on Erie.

Thanks in advance all.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

try this site out, pretty cool

https://www.windy.com/?44.726,-80.942,11

and yea, the bay is well protected from most directions. i've spent quite a bit of time fishing up there, lot of good places to check out, you can also venture over to lake huron side. launch the boat in howdenvale, stay inside the islands for some good smallie fishing, pike have also come back into the area as well

What is old Darryl up to these days? Been a long time since I have heard anything from him. He used to be very, very "Vocal"! lol

Good luck on Colpoy Bay. I can't help you and have never been there.....but I would love to see a report (with photos, of course!).

The worst winds for Colpoys bay are North winds (NW, NE). The wind blowing into the bay from the main lake makes it bumpy in a hurry. Windfinder has Wiarton/Bruce Pennisula wind forecast .

Good Luck

Wiarton wouldn't come up, now it does.

Thanks guys exactly what I was looking for. Early in the week doesn't look bad. I'm sure the forecast will change 10 times or more in a week.

also, make a stop in at Fletcher Sports on hw 6. fantastic fishing shop, and the owner is very helpful. my dad has run into darryl choronzy a few times in there

That's a pretty long highway Floatn. South end isn't far from us where it starts at HWY 24. Where on 6 exactly? Ted and I have a running gag, I get him all hopped up about going to a new tackle shop and then sit in the truck and wait for him because I say I'm not spending a penny on stuff I don't need and can't use right. Then I go in to drag him out 100 bucks latter because he is a tackle addict. He's the addict and I'm the facilitator.

I have it, Owen Sound. The opposite end of 6.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

OI fletchers is just south of Hepworth, Lorne is a great old guy and one of the best when it comes to reel repairs. Having boated Colpoys for 24 yrs I can honestly say when the marine forecast says wind and waves may vary due to shoreline effect Colpoys bay is a classic example of that. The high bluffs down both sides of the bay act as a funnel for wind from all directions. You'll need to travel nearly 5 miles down the bay to find salmon depths. the north shore is the most productive.

Thanks so much F4F. I can see how the winds might get silly in that bay. I was up to a place my cousins bought years ago, if I remember it was at least 100 feet down to the water. Like a Scandinavian fiord.

I actually have more than 1 good level wind that needs attention. Reel repairmen are few and far between, especially good ones. I will have to remember to bring them to him. A good excuse to invite myself back up there. Thanks again for the tips too, that's great.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That's a pretty long highway Floatn. South end isn't far from us where it starts at HWY 24. Where on 6 exactly? Ted and I have a running gag, I get him all hopped up about going to a new tackle shop and then sit in the truck and wait for him because I say I'm not spending a penny on stuff I don't need and can't use right. Then I go in to drag him out 100 bucks latter because he is a tackle addict. He's the addict and I'm the facilitator.

I have it, Owen Sound. The opposite end of 6.

yea, about half way between owen sound and the meet up of hw 6 and hw10,

from paisley, take hw 21 to hw 6, head north to ledgerock rd, you'll drive right by it

I guess buddy got into town today and asked around about Colpoy's Bay, or is it Colpoy? From what he remembers they were referring to Magnuson's Mansion. Does that mean anything to anyone. He isn't PC friendly and called to ask me to Google it. Nothing came up. He thought all you have to do is Google anything and the answer magically appear. Someone once gave him a laptop. He called me to ask if when I was in the city could I stop by. I went over and asked him what's up? He said "show me how to use this thing". He thought I could teach him in an hour or so, bless his soul.

Easterly winds are the worst for Colpoys.

Mornings and evenings can be surprisingly better than the Georgian marine forecast. It can whip up fast mid day, but can lay down a lot quicker than the open lake.

With the bluffs, the north to south side conditions can be a night and day difference sometimes as well.

My boat is on Huron. My fishing buddy is on Colpoys. We are on one boat or the other on the water almost every weekend, on one side or the other depending on wind/conditons.

I would not say Colpoys has been good fishing this year, bar a short early stint.

Thanks Crud. I left a post on your thread too. I am heading there Sunday with the boat wind or no wind. I am going to feel like a dolt if I don't and conditions change. What do you fish for there CRUD 150 if I may ask, not looking for spots or tips. I have never wet a lure in Huron or Georgian Bay in 30 years.

Thanks Crud. I left a post on your thread too. I am heading there Sunday with the boat wind or no wind. I am going to feel like a dolt if I don't and conditions change. What do you fish for there CRUD 150 if I may ask, not looking for spots or tips. I have never wet a lure in Huron or Georgian Bay in 30 years.

We do well with rainbows.2016DYL.jpgMy LARRY2015.jpg

Buddy Big Larry 2015 Chantry derby biggest bow 16+lbs.

My sons 2016 Chantry entry 11lbs, Larry entered a 12 on the first day and won biggest bow 2 years running.

When asked by guys in the derby how we catch big bows, we tell them we just try and catch a big salmon:)

We have not caught a decent salmon during the derby for a number of years:(

Seriously, pull some orange for bows shallow. Blue and silver tricked some kings earlier this year north east end. Or go out to the islands for some lakers.

Hope you get some nice weather and have good luck!

Enjoy, it is a beautiful bay to tour and spend time on the water.

Thanks very much CRUD. I am going through my boxes today and find those colours. I know I have them. My go to for Lake Erie and Lake O salmon and bows is the bright orange J-9 Rappala. I am going to try some spoons used exclusively on the west side of Long Point on Erie. Monkey Puke is a good one as well as Pink Panties and the Greasy Chicken.

We do well with rainbows.attachicon.gif2016DYL.jpgMy attachicon.gifLARRY2015.jpg

Buddy Big Larry 2015 Chantry derby biggest bow 16+lbs.

My sons 2016 Chantry entry 11lbs, Larry entered a 12 on the first day and won biggest bow 2 years running.

When asked by guys in the derby how we catch big bows, we tell them we just try and catch a big salmon:)

We have not caught a decent salmon during the derby for a number of years:(

Seriously, pull some orange for bows shallow. Blue and silver tricked some kings earlier this year north east end. Or go out to the islands for some lakers.

Hope you get some nice weather and have good luck!

Enjoy, it is a beautiful bay to tour and spend time on the water.

nice sized bow. the salmon fishery on that side of the province has really diminshed. my dad took 2nd place in the sarnia derby last year with a 17.25lb salmon. the winner was half a pound heavier. haven't seen a 20lb+ salmon in quite some time, not since when my grandparents used to get them in the 90's

nice sized bow. the salmon fishery on that side of the province has really diminshed. my dad took 2nd place in the sarnia derby last year with a 17.25lb salmon. the winner was half a pound heavier. haven't seen a 20lb+ salmon in quite some time, not since when my grandparents used to get them in the 90's

Yes the salmon on Huron are getting to be ghosts of the past. The changing water conditions and forage are at least bringing back native species along our shore of Huron.

Walleye are coming along north from Sarnia and we are getting more in the Bayfield- Goderich waters. Starting to spend more time learning to target them.

Just not quite the same thrill as getting a good screaming 20 lb king on the line.

I think it was Shakespeare that said "all the best made plans of mice or men shall never be" or something. Went up to Paisley yesterday afternoon regardless of winds and came back early this AM due to a personal matter with my fishing partner that came along. Next time I might even get to Colpoy Bay. Whataya gonna do?