Weirdest Catch Ever

muskymax

I was on a date a few years back and caught................. oh never mind

That is not a really good one to advertize... I can assure you that your catch when fishing on shore will decrease substantially after a post like that...

(so sorry, I couldn't resist!... )

Hey Roy, believe me brother, I know exactly what a sturgeon looks like, and the fish that swam 3-feet from my boat on the Larry was not a sturgeon... this fish was much larger than how big a lake sturgeon can get at maturity. It was more like the size of a big white sturgeon from the West Coast. My boat was 16' long, and the fish was longer than half my boat!

Hey Yellowboat,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Greenland Shark. I just did a bunch of on-line research on the Greenland Shark, and what I learned is amazing. These sharks are a mystery to scientists and they migrate into the St.Lawrence River every summer! The Greenland Shark looks very much like the fish we saw several years ago on the St.Lawrence... so much so, that I believe that you helped solve my question on what the heck we witnessed swim by my boat on the Larry. The Greenland Shark is the best explanation for what we witnessed I have heard. For years I thought we were both just nuts :rolleyes:

That was by far the most rare sighting I will more than likely ever witness in my life. Greenland Sharks can reach over 20-feet long and over 2000 pounds, and are a brownish colouration. A carabou carcass was found in one shark. Damn, I'm sure glad I didn't go for a swim!

Here are a few links on the Greenland Shark if anyone is interested to know more about them. One outfit in Greenland even takes out trips to go ice fishing for them!

Greenland Sharks in the St.Lawrence River

Greenland Shark Video

Ice Fishing Greenland Sharks!

"Greenland Sharks can reach over 20-feet long and over 2000 pounds"

Aaron it's even worse, the site says 2 tons... that's more like 4,000 pounds.

Do you remember the story last winter of the woman who caught one ice fishing on the Saguenay here and the press dang near crucified her.

That is not a really good one to advertize... I can assure you that your catch when fishing on shore will decrease substantially after a post like that...

(so sorry, I couldn't resist!... )

No need to be sorry Jen I deserved that LOL

My sick sense of humor

Shouldn't have made that comment, hasn't been a good day, and for the record I was just kidding.

Whopper

Caught 3 full cans of Lakeport on the BoQ last Monday.Not as exciting as a bear or a dead body but more refreshing.

Yeah, they're partyers on the BOQ.

I caught a fully cooked rack o' ribs while ice fishing on the Rush bar, close to Snake Island.

I was salmon fishing in port once and couldnt catch one that day i was almost ready to pack it in when i thought i got snagged untill it slowly sstarted coming in.....I got it up and it was a rod and reel with a salmon on it. I reeled in the salmon and kept the rod:) two in One

I have caught rocks, snails, lures, and an anchor. Twice, I have caught flies; they land on the spool and get trapped when the line wraps around them after I begin realling in.

As for things that I have seen: a mink on shore jumped into the water swam right up to the boat as if it was going to climb into the boat; we stared at each other while I began reaching for a paddle :rolleyes: ... after a few seconds it turned around and swam back to shore.

Hey Roy, believe me brother, I know exactly what a sturgeon looks like, and the fish that swam 3-feet from my boat on the Larry was not a sturgeon... this fish was much larger than how big a lake sturgeon can get at maturity. It was more like the size of a big white sturgeon from the West Coast. My boat was 16' long, and the fish was longer than half my boat!

Hey Yellowboat,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Greenland Shark. I just did a bunch of on-line research on the Greenland Shark, and what I learned is amazing. These sharks are a mystery to scientists and they migrate into the St.Lawrence River every summer! The Greenland Shark looks very much like the fish we saw several years ago on the St.Lawrence... so much so, that I believe that you helped solve my question on what the heck we witnessed swim by my boat on the Larry. The Greenland Shark is the best explanation for what we witnessed I have heard. For years I thought we were both just nuts :rolleyes:

That was by far the most rare sighting I will more than likely ever witness in my life. Greenland Sharks can reach over 20-feet long and over 2000 pounds, and are a brownish colouration. A carabou carcass was found in one shark. Damn, I'm sure glad I didn't go for a swim!

Here are a few links on the Greenland Shark if anyone is interested to know more about them. One outfit in Greenland even takes out trips to go ice fishing for them!

Greenland Sharks in the St.Lawrence River

Greenland Shark Video

Ice Fishing Greenland Sharks!

Hey Aaron no prob don't thank me though thank the National Geographic Cannel hahaha.

We were fishing Sparrow lake a few years back (maybe 12years) and had a pretty strange thing take place. We were driving (fast) through the middle when we noticed another wake parallel to the boat about 15feet out running alongside us (not behind us enough to be considered runoff from our wake) we stopped the boat and whatever it was kept motoring ahead at a little faster than trolling speed. SCARY STUFF!! no idea what the hell it could've been

***correction, it was not sparrow lake it was BIG DOE LAKE***

Edited by addy79

Guest Trophymuskie

Wow some great stories. Been a full time guide on the Ottawa river I'll probably be able to write a book on the stuff I've pulled in off the bottom.

My best one yet was when I was fishing with my son and we trolled by a peer as I was doing a U turn. Well as some know believers like to marry on turns at times so I checked my lines to see if they were ok before they become a tangled mess. I proceeded to check my son's line and it was fine and then when I checked mine there was some weight to it. So I carefully reeled it in to see I had caught some fishing line and some weight. I carefully reeled it all in and grabbed the line to find out it had weight at both ends. I decided to bring in the heavier of the two first and it was a 3-4 pound catfish and the other end was a zebco rod and reel.

Now there was a guy fishing the peer and I looked to see if he looked like someone who'd lost a rod, and even though I saw his rod i decided to go ask as you never know. Well I asked if he'd lost a rod and he said no but that guy has and he points out to the other side of the peer. I am puzzled as I wait for the guy to walk across and i asked if he's lost a rod and he said yes I was fishing the end of the peer at lunchtime and went to get something in my car and when I came back it was gone. Well holy crap it was 5:30 and that poor catfish swam around with that rod for over 5 hours before i rescued it somewhat. LOL

As a side note we had an incredible day of muskie fishing with 5 fish including a couple of 50+ and when we got home my son could not wait to tell mom we caught a catfish. :P