Ulterra install almost done!

Hi all,

not getting much fishing done at the moment, between work and family, swapping from 12v to 24v for my new Ulterra with iPilot-Link and installing all the wiring ethernet cables and GPS puck etc...etc...etc is taking all my spare time. Made about 4 trillion trips to Canadian Tire and even as far as Kenora to get bits I never knew I needed and some I did know.

To keep all the wiring neat and out of sight meant I had to basically back engineer a lot of the decks and compartments, but it will be worth the effort.

Some of the hiccups along the way were needing the ethernet adapter AS EC QDE for my Helix 9 to connect it to the motor, getting another power cable PC10 for my Helix 5 so as not to have take the one of my ice fishing set up, jerry rigging my quick release bracket from my Terrova so I cleared the gunwale, basically its not as easily releasable now as i put 2 screws in the back of it to be safe (this thing weighs 70lbs!!!).

Also finding 8 gauge wire was almost impossible in this small town, even most of the dealerships that sell boats did not have any, it took a whole afternoon in town to finally find some....sheesh.

I still have to work out where to put the GPS Heading puck for the iPilot, can't be near ferrous metals, heavy wiring etc...etc...as there is not a lot of real estate on my little barge, its proving kinda tricky, trial and error I guess, luckily it only gets connected to the battery so swapping it around should be a doddle.

Bought a bunch of Ram Mounts for my gadgets, should look like the Starship Enterprise at the wheel now...lol, not quite as fancy as some of the consoles you see, but compared to my old boat it feels vey flashy to me, and more importantly everything is secured well at neatly within reach, won't have to move an inch this summer, will be 250lbs by August for sure!

GETTING THERE!

ulterra.jpg

I forgot to mention that its also taking a long time because of frequent breaks to the bottom of the yard to try for ice out pike, not been as great this year but there are a few around.

So, i need to get my arse in gear and git'er done, because at the moment this is my reality.....lol.

IMG_2822.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

I share you pain Si - working on installing a 24 v, motorguide Xi5. Decided to go for the whole enchilada after our session on Lac Seul last year. Upgrading to an elite 7tI, with total scan, Moving the hds to the bow. Who knew all those extras would be needed - and I still haven't started the networking part of the project.....but here's to spot lock and handsfree trolling :)