Question: to all you carp anglers

shimano19

Goodmorning everyone, just had a question I wanted to run by you guys. There is a pond I fish for carp near my house, is max depth is 5-6 fow. it has a river feeding in (about 10ft wide) and a very small stream feeding out. The closest main lake is about 55-60km away, with 1-2 small ponds along the way up-stream to the lake. Do you think these carp stay in here year long or migrate that distance just for the spawn? Ive only started fishing it last year from July- sept with good numbers of fish landed. I have also tried it 3 weeks ago and yesterday with no success. (1-3 hours each time.)

I fished a spot near my house last year quite a bit, with the days of highest numbers in mid april. I think they would stay in there? Might be a little too cold for them to be very active right now. After the next week or twos worth of rain, they should wake back up. What sort of sizes are they in the pond?

I fished a spot near my house last year quite a bit, with the days of highest numbers in mid april. I think they would stay in there? Might be a little too cold for them to be very active right now. After the next week or twos worth of rain, they should wake back up. What sort of sizes are they in the pond?

They average 6-10lb, biggest has been 15lb

I'm wondering Mike if perhaps they've migrated away from this area during the colder months? In lake situations, I've always thought they headed to cluster together in deeper spots.

Having said that, I know for sure their metabolism slows way down in cooler temps and they just don't feed as much. But they still do feed as dedicated carpers are able to catch 'em 12 months of the year in Ontario.

Neat to have a pond like that close to you. I'd definitely give it a go a few more times to see if you have yourself year-round playground there. Maybe use smaller offerings as your hookbait and avoid chumming in excess.

I'm wondering Mike if perhaps they've migrated away from this area during the colder months? In lake situations, I've always thought they headed to cluster together in deeper spots.

Having said that, I know for sure their metabolism slows way down in cooler temps and they just don't feed as much. But they still do feed as dedicated carpers are able to catch 'em 12 months of the year in Ontario.

Neat to have a pond like that close to you. I'd definitely give it a go a few more times to see if you have yourself year-round playground there. Maybe use smaller offerings as your hookbait and avoid chumming in excess.

Yes I have heard they do seek out deeper water after spawning and in the colder months, the reason I ask this is because there is no deep water available to them in this stretch unless they travel the 60km back to the lake and I would assume there are easier to access spawning grounds for them in the lake or at the mouth of the river, so I wouldn't see why they would travel this far then go back. I will definatly keep putting in work to see if they do Infact stay within the vicinity of the pond.

The spot I fish is max 4ft, maybe even less. It has a small creek to another marsh that leads to the lake.. but it's blocked off. I'm guessing that they stay around, just huddle up in the deepest spot and mope until the warm weather hits. The good thing about the really shallow areas is that they warm up nice and quick, they get on the feed quick. I'm thinking about attempting next week sometime, maybe once the majority of the rain is finished.

I stopped by a small pond while on break at work, just after the ice melted the first time around... back during those spring-like february days we had and I spotted some carp feeding, so I think they stay around.

I think I'd be wondering the same things as you Mike. The rivers I fish for carp produce for me in the warmer months, but come winter I'm never sure if they've moved off or they're just not feeding.

I've got my carp gear all organized and ready by the door, so time to do some legwork now that everything has opened up.

Locnar, good on you to spot 'em and good luck giving 'em a go soon.

Unless there is good flow all winter or a spring with high oxygen levels they don't winter there

That is really shallow

We have a HUGE pond in my area fed in by a creek and out by a culvert that is screened in

Every few years there are hundreds of dead carp after the ice melts due to low oxygen

This pond is about 1.5 on long and mostly 2-7 feet deep

Goodmorning everyone, just had a question I wanted to run by you guys. There is a pond I fish for carp near my house, is max depth is 5-6 fow. it has a river feeding in (about 10ft wide) and a very small stream feeding out. The closest main lake is about 55-60km away, with 1-2 small ponds along the way up-stream to the lake. Do you think these carp stay in here year long or migrate that distance just for the spawn? Ive only started fishing it last year from July- sept with good numbers of fish landed. I have also tried it 3 weeks ago and yesterday with no success. (1-3 hours each time.)

Carp usually spawn in May, so if you are catching them from July to Sept, it doesn't sound like they are there just to spawn.

Radio tracking of carp in the Toronto harbour area indicate that many carp winter over in the inlets on the sand spit; so they don't seem to require deep water to winter over.

Carp usually spawn in May, so if you are catching them from July to Sept, it doesn't sound like they are there just to spawn.

Radio tracking of carp in the Toronto harbour area indicate that many carp winter over in the inlets on the sand spit; so they don't seem to require deep water to winter over.

I know they spawn in may but I was curious if you guys thought they were just hanging out in the area until it gets to cold or if they leave. The flow is fairly decent in the pond from the river flowing, it dosent seem to have any weed life other than some bullrushes and algee.

Try and fish it on the warmest day, that extra warmth might get them active. Last sunday I saw my first pod of carp and they were actively feeding when I was targeting pike. Also don't forget to chum chum chum, chumming the day before helps a lot too.

Try and fish it on the warmest day, that extra warmth might get them active. Last sunday I saw my first pod of carp and they were actively feeding when I was targeting pike. Also don't forget to chum chum chum, chumming the day before helps a lot too.

I always chum, never leave home without a bucket of ground bait. The first time I went it was fairly warm and the 2nd was full sun plus 10, walked around the pond aswell..not much going on