Okuma Coldwater 453 capacity

Fishwilly

For a 5 color set up I would suggest the 303 size reel... Nothing wrong with the 453, its the choice size though for 10 colors.

Also I would suggest using braid for backing instead of mono.

What is this set up for? Walleye/trout or salmon?

Edited by fishdawg

Salmon and it was originally intended for a segemnted 12 color core (5 color then 7) but my buddy talked me into using 5 colors and snap weights to get the same depths. Still get the leadcore wave action and less line out. I guess with all that backing I don't have any excuse to get spooled by big kings.

Salmon and it was originally intended for a segemnted 12 color core (5 color then 7) but my buddy talked me into using 5 colors and snap weights to get the same depths. Still get the leadcore wave action and less line out. I guess with all that backing I don't have any excuse to get spooled by big kings.

I'm not familiar with this style of fishing so I'm not sure what this means. I use leadcore for lakers but that's inland lakes Does this have to do with the way that the section of leadcore reacts to boat action from normal big water waves and then affects the lure somehow? If so, what about flat water fishing? Tks

Cheers

I'm not familiar with this style of fishing so I'm not sure what this means. I use leadcore for lakers but that's inland lakes Does this have to do with the way that the section of leadcore reacts to boat action from normal big water waves and then affects the lure somehow? If so, what about flat water fishing? Tks

Cheers

You got it. Its the action imparted on the lure from the leadcore.

I have had days where only leadcore will get bit. Especially on inland lakes. I've tried the same lure, run back on long leads off riggers and couldn't get a bite. The other side of the boat with leadcore running the same depth is getting killed. Some days its the other way around too.....

S.