Ambassaduer reel doesnt fit the rod I bought

Tjames09

So I recently purchased a BPS rod 7'6" H with an ambassaduer reel for musky fishing. Well actually I bought two. Anyways, the reel doesnt fit the rod, I have the rod clamp tightened as much as it goes and the reel still pops out. Is there a work around for this or is it just not meant to be. I held it together with zip ties, but it still is not stable.

edit, should mention its the ambassaduer SX model, the red one. It seems the metal on the bottom of the reel isnt long enough to fit the rod clasp.

Edited by Tjames09

That's Wierd. I would return and exchange one of the items at Basspro. The reel is likely unused so that is what I would suggest.

The Shimano Cardiff reels are reasonable and hold up better for Muskie In my opinion. The 300 size works for smaller stuff and it is what I have on my 7'6" H rod. Most people use the 400 size but I find it too wide for that rod and what I use it for.

i sent u aniother personal message btw.

Edited by landry

wrap some electrical tape around the reel seat....that may work.

if not they sell actual reel seat pads that also may work.

I had to do it with an inshore nrx spinning rod that my stella reel won't latch properly onto.

Seems sort of make shift for a $100 reel. I might take them back and find something that fits better.

Do as Pigeon Troller suggested. I had the same thing happen with the Tranx on a custom X rod. Just didn't fit right and cost me a fish!

I did, returned it. I actually bought a more expensive reel (lol). I bought the Shimano Cardiff.

I didnt like the button on the C3 which is the same price. The C4 is higher in price, and didnt seem to offer more when I was looking at it. After that it goes way up in prices. The guy at bass pro (well it seems everyone there) doesnt actually know a lot about fishing and fishing gear. He recommended 20lb braid for musky fishing should be fine. I liked the Abu Winch which is more a bass style reel but the guy didnt know enough for me to be confident in buying it and it working for musky.

I had poor durability issues with every Abu C reel I have bought.

I have an Abu Toro that has held up very well though and I got it from the bottom of the Detroit R, (snagged it and a broken rod). I cleaned it up, dried it and relubed it and it has been flawless for 4 years. Lol. True story. I also used all the parts from the rodeo build a new Tackle Industries 10'6"xxh this spring:)

C3 is great.

C4 was horrible.

The C4 was actually almost useless, as the high gear ratio, and no guts, made it virtually useless for anything but rigger reels....

The old fake gold cardiff, which was a calcutta knock off, used to freeze and fall apart when we fished quinte....didn't hold up...most folks fish muskie late into the season.....

a curado 300 works much better in tough conditions...used ones go for less than $200...

maybe the new cardiffs are better than the circa 2005'ish Cardiffs.

Hmmm, guys arent making me feel to confident with my purchase now. The help at BassPro is very poor so its tough to choose when at the counter when the guy behind the counter really doesnt know.

What is a better option at the $150 price point? Some of the reels you guys are mentioning are closer to $300 new.

That was the whole idea of you getting the Cardiff, correct? Your just getting started and didn't want to go really expensive yet. Like I said, I used a Cardiff initially, but realized after a season or two that I wanted more versatility.

The Cardiff will suite you just fine, but it is not built the same as the higher end, more expensive models. Until you get comfortable targeting Muskies and want to get into specific rod reel combinations, go with what you have.

You will find that it is a middle of the road reel and capable of throwing average size Muskie baits. I wouldn't want to bring double 10's in or throw pound bull dawgs all day with it though.

Ambassador Record is also a middle of the road reel. I think around $200. give or take.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

That was the whole idea of you getting the Cardiff, correct? Your just getting started and didn't want to go really expensive yet. Like I said, I used a Cardiff initially, but realized after a season or two that I wanted more versatility.

The Cardiff will suite you just fine, but it is not built the same as the higher end, more expensive models. Until you get comfortable targeting Muskies and want to get into specific rod reel combinations, go with what you have.

You will find that it is a middle of the road reel and capable of throwing average size Muskie baits. I wouldn't want to bring double 10's in or throw pound bull dawgs all day with it though.

Ambassador Record is also a middle of the road reel. I think around $200. give or take.

Ah okay, yes you are correct. I didn't want to blow the bank which is why I went with this model. Just the last few replies left me wondering.

Tom is bang on.

It's a solid musky starter reel that will get u going with no issues. I still run one on my topwater rod. My other reels are curado 301, ambassadeur toro 60HS and a saltwater reel called an AVET SX for big bucktail cranking. All more expensive by quite a bit.

I used YouTube and taught myself to service all my reels. They are simple to clean and replace parts if needed. Musky reels take a lot of abuse.