NMEA

grimsbylander

this concept is totally new to me, but honest question, please feel free to call me an idiot of its obvious...but i notice that none of the major players are on board with this??

the Lawrence, humminbirds and eagles of the world?

I for one have never understood how something such as marine GPS's have not fully embraced the crowd sourcing technology that is easily available, but when it comes to people's safety, you would think that you could put your differences aside and work together to ensure accurate charts and safety equipment for everyone to use.

I thought by now every single square inch of every major body of water, especially when it comes to popular areas would have easy to follow accurate charts...but such isnt the case.

Of course I like the fact that the area around my cottage is uncharted because it makes it harder for everyone to fish...but at the same time I dont like the idea of anyone getting hurt...so alas im willing to sacrifice my lumps and humps.

Edited by AKRISONER

this concept is totally new to me, but honest question, please feel free to call me an idiot of its obvious...but i notice that none of the major players are on board with this??

the Lawrence, humminbirds and eagles of the world?

I for one have never understood how something such as marine GPS's have not fully embraced the crowd sourcing technology that is easily available, but when it comes to people's safety, you would think that you could put your differences aside and work together to ensure accurate charts and safety equipment for everyone to use.

I thought by now every single square inch of every major body of water, especially when it comes to popular areas would have easy to follow accurate charts...but such isnt the case.

Of course I like the fact that the area around my cottage is uncharted because it makes it harder for everyone to fish...but at the same time I dont like the idea of anyone getting hurt...so alas im willing to sacrifice my lumps and humps.

Good question...you should start a thread.

Let me know what you find out. I have a Lowrance, and wanted to connect it to my Mercury. I bought what I thought was right - which I am guessing was a starter kit. I have run the cable to my Lowrance - and back to the motor, but have not connected it as I was missing items. I think it was an extra T as you describe.

The lack of clear instructions on it - is frankly amazing.

Let me know what you find out. I have a Lowrance, and wanted to connect it to my Mercury. I bought what I thought was right - which I am guessing was a starter kit. I have run the cable to my Lowrance - and back to the motor, but have not connected it as I was missing items. I think it was an extra T as you describe.

I can send you diagrams on how to hook everything up. That part is fairly straight forward. Just make sure you power the backbone through one of the supplied T's and you put a switch on it so you can turn it off. My issue is the cost of buying one or two T's and a short cable is darn near the same as a starter kit. I'll bite the bullet because I'm anxious to get the Point 1 installed.

If you bought a point 1 and starter kit, all you will need is one t. If you want to save money, the garmin t is a few bucks cheaper, it works fine, just aligns at an angle. And yes a switch is crucial, as the system will always run

Edited by dan668

Merc outboards unlike Yammy, ETEC and ZUKES do not connect directly to a Lowrance HDS unit. On those non Merc motors all you need is a Engine Interface cable that plugs directly into the motor that runs to the NMEA backbone with of course needs to be powered on it's own. With a Merc you need a special box that Merc was suppose to release back in June. Not sure if that is available.

For a diagram look no further then here for running a back bone in your boat......

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=174227