Deep cycle battery for starting?

kickingfrog

The current Ontario Out of Doors (June 2016) has a one page article with some tips on boat batteries. One paragraph mentioned that with the all the electronics on board many boat owners were switching to a deep cycle battery for the starter battery. They did mention that you should be careful with the "largest motors" and that you should consult your owners manual.

I've always used a starter battery and not had an issue but I only have one sonar unit, one livewell and a bilge running on the starter battery. I was wondering what others thought about this?

The current Ontario Out of Doors (June 2016) has a one page article with some tips on boat batteries. One paragraph mentioned that with the all the electronics on board many boat owners were switching to a deep cycle battery for the starter battery. They did mention that you should be careful with the "largest motors" and that you should consult your owners manual.

I've always used a starter battery and not had an issue but I only have one sonar unit, one livewell and a bilge running on the starter battery. I was wondering what others thought about this?

I have the same setup, a 7" sonar/GPS combo and some lights if I am fishing when its dark, I never use the livewell and the bilge pump never comes on, my kicker motor keeps the starting battery topped up when I am trolling, I use a 1000 CCA marine starting battery.

If I had too many gadgets, I would consider running 2 batteries in parallel.

I do have a group 31 deepcycle battery for my elect trolling motor and always carry jumper cables just in case.

There's so many variables in play that it's impossible to create a single rule that works for everyone. If you're cranking over a 50hp outboard, run one graph, and use your livewells periodically, you can probably get away with either. If you have a 200hp+, multiple graphs and run aerators all day, you may want a more specialized hybrid battery or a high quality cranking battery; one that can take the constant drain and still crank a V6. I personally don't see the need to run 2 batteries in parallel. The technology in today's cranking batteries allow a tournament boat to run 2-3 12 inch screens, structure scan, and livewells all day and then crank a 250hp over to get back; in all temperatures.

My new boat with a E-TEC 90 HO came with a Deep Cycle battery that I thought was strange........it has 625 CCA and 120 minute reserve........works great so for but it's only one year old right now. Time will tell.

BTW the 3 bank on-board battery charger is always plugged in when not fishing with the boat.