hooks vs. body parts

Hookset

I was shown the string / yank procedure years ago and have used it 3 times. Twice on others and once on myself.

It definitely saved 3 trips to the hospital.

One note on the technique though. Tell buddy you are going to yank on the count of 3....then yank on count #2.

works great. Oh ya, wrap the other hooks in tissue paper or tape (or something) so they don't stick ya when you yank the hook.

hook removal

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset

I was shown the string / yank procedure years ago and have used it 3 times. Twice on others and once on myself.

It definitely saved 3 trips to the hospital.

One note on the technique though. Tell buddy you are going to yank on the count of 3....then yank on count #2.

works great. Oh ya, wrap the other hooks in tissue paper or tape (or something) so they don't stick ya when you yank the hook.

hook removal

Hookset.

It happened to me once (i've got some pics- if i can find em i'll post it here) i tried the technique but we got the angle wrong and the hook went deeper into muscle tissues missing some tendons (according to the docs) ... i had to do surgery to get the hook out .. :-(

I got a hook embedded in the flesh between the thumb and forefinger on my right hand. My two buddies were too squeamish to push it through and then cut off the barb and then pull it out. I can say from personal experience if you are half snapped, your hand is frozen from the cold already, and even if you are right handed you can do it yourself, with your opposite hand as long as your side cutters will cut the hook. The coolest part of the whole deal was that it didn't even leave a scar..... Big waste of JD black to clean the wound after though. LOL

If any of you saw my report a couple of weeks ago you would have seen pics of me with a hook under the skin of my knuckle. I think at that point you have enough adrenalin to just push it through yourself. I have now done this on two occasions and cut the hook. There is no way I could let someone else do it. The pain was not to bad the second time. The first time was in the thumb and let me tell ya thumb meat is very thick and takes alot of pushing to get the hook through. The knuckle one was not poking through the skin so I had to push it and break through the skin and barely had enough room to get the cutters around to cut. Good news is it didnt hurt, or bleed much and I went right back to fishing and got pics. The bad news is I have to replace a treble hook on my brand new taildancer.

I've been hooked 5 times in total. Usually it's the smaller fish that get you because you don't take them as serious as the bigger ones. The first 2 times I was hooked were both hospital trips! :wallbash: The next 2 were removed while in the boat by buddies of mine using the "Close your eyes, Grit your teeth and have your buddie rip it out with needlenose pliers" technique. The last time I was hooked was the most memorable! I've only tried this removal technique once and I don't recommend it! I caught a small hammerhandle pike on a HOT summer day(Wearing shorts of course) and when I sat down in the boat to remove the hook from the fish...it freaked out and fell towards the bottom of the boat. It never made it to the bottom because the other treble on the bait became firmly implanted in my thigh with the fish still hooked as well. In my state of shock I looked down to see the blood starting to trickle and I SWEAR the fish looked up at me...SMILED and proceeded to thrash for what seemed like an eternity. I finally heard the fish hit the floor of the boat and when I looked down, there was the fish with the lure still in it's mouth and me with a nice gash in my leg that was bleeding pretty heavily by now. I still have a little scar there but it worked out better for me than that fish. I quickly decided that we were going to have a nice PIKE SHORE LUNCH that day! :whistling:

I saw Bill Dance use teh yank procedure several years ago on his show - it looks liek its more traumatic then it needs to be. I've always pushed hooks though and cut of the end. You may be left with 2 holes, but I think its the best way to go personally.

A couple of years ago I was fishing with a less than skilled fisherman......Trying to cast a musky killer.....with a 36 inch leader....with a rod that was a ultralight......I kept giving hom the dickens about being careful......Next thing I know I have a musky killer caught in my toque...as he closes the bail and sets the hook.......He may not have been a master caster but I will give him props on his ability to set hooks.....Buried the treble right to the bend. Needless to say a trip to the hospital and 3 stiches and numerous lauging medical staff all was well. As a point of observation....when you get back to camp or cottage, be very alarmed of other fisherman, usually with a malt beverage in hand offering to perform surgery....it seemed to me that the more liquidified the surgeons are the more it hurt.

Just my two cents

When I was about 8 or 10 I hooked myself in the back of the head with 2 of 3 prongs of my new daredevil spoon. I was casting from shore at a pike that surfaced. I had the old puch button closed face reals. Apperently I didn't push the button. I casted so hard that after the hook was lodged in my head The follow through force broke my rod. Of course I started crying because I just broke my rod. Then my brohter come over and points and he starts crying. Then I felt my head and found out the hook was stuck. Well then I started bawling..haha My dad came over, and like any loving father would do... Says, "hey, you caught a 60 lb sucker" hahah Nice! So a 2 hour trip to the nearest hospital ensued.

Not sure if the hook yank would work on multiple hooks. That would cause alot more tissue damage I think. I ended up getting a local freezing and the Dr. worked his magic. Then I got a lollipop for not crying and went back to camp to go fishing.

I saw Bill Dance use teh yank procedure several years ago on his show - it looks liek its more traumatic then it needs to be. I've always pushed hooks though and cut of the end. You may be left with 2 holes, but I think its the best way to go personally.

But what if you are hanging from a tree?

I dunno folks,

Use what you have confidence in I suppose.

I've used the string / yank technique 3 times and it's 3 for 3 with me.

Barely even bleed and little pain. And that was on deeply embedded treble hooks (one only embedded though)

But you have to do the procedure exactly as shown.

It is not a procedure to be rushed. Important points are straight alignment of the hook, constant pressure downward on the hook eye, and a quick yank using a very strong string or several wraps of line.

I always wrapped enough line to pull my truck out of the ditch, then I added a few more wraps.

If I wasn't confident in a technique I'd be headed to the hospital for sure though.

Hookset.