Best CHEAP deal on cell providers NF

misfish

Same idea as I said to Cliff, check the pre-paid options. Most stores now have them (PC and even 7-11). Some rent off Bell towers, others off Rogers. You need a big coverage area you go Bell 3rd parties if not Bell direct as they too do pre-paid.

Is what I'm paying fair, OK, good, not so good? If I go prepaid as many do would it be easier on the budget, which is getting smaller every month. No raise for 16 years now.

Thanks for your help GBW.

Is what I'm paying fair, OK, good, not so good? If I go prepaid as many do would it be easier on the budget, which is getting smaller every month. No raise for 16 years now.

Thanks for your help GBW.

No worries, $21.50 a month for 20 total texts and only to calling home can be beat. Check the PC link I posted as to costs (and no I don't work for them). If one cell is NOT used for text and just calls then the $15 a mth may do and the other get's a bit bigger or the same plan. Would need more info as to how both phones are used there for better info.

My folks are now late 60's and they are now on pre-paid BUT if they use it more than they intended some months they do have to "top up" a bit early so... Most months they do save.

After reading the $15 plan again, if all outbound calls are local then it's a savings. You also get PC phone to PC phone free calls and unlimited texts in that rate.

*edit to add outbound* if LD calling then 20 cents a min

Edited by GBW

Geoff, ( forgive me if I have the name wrong) I looked at the PC packages. If PC is presidents choice they are available at a few places here like Shoppers or Zehrs. If I have to pay 20 cents a minute on top of the 15 or 25 buck package that's going to add up pretty quick since one of the phones is now our home number. My wife has sisters across North America. Here and the US. Both phones come to around 80 bucks a month and I was wrong about the price of the phones it's an extra 10 bucks for a few months more to buy them outright. Zero data usage. Unlimited LD North America. At 20 cents a minute and maybe an hour a day on prime time calls which is about right after checking my phone that's $360.00 a month unless I'm missing something. That's one expensive camera.

Please advise, thanks.

Johnny D

edit: we gave up the 22 buck a month phones because dear wife needed a smart phone as 20 texts were no longer enough as her new boss is texting her and they are in the same store 100 feet away, I don't get that either, the phone is on her desk but she texts everyone. My wife works full time, I no longer work so if I want to go fishing etc. etc. I go with the flow. Plus I wanted to stop paying Ma Bell and needed a better phone than my 10 year old flip phone to use as the land line. I'm missing something about the plans.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not to many plans out there in the $80 rand with unlimited LD to CAN/US so you might have to keep her's the same. Your Johnny you should be able to change around to save some money. And you go have my name right and even spelt right.

So, what do YOU need your phone to do?

Give me a shout on Sunday 705 928-8899

Sorry Cliff but it looks like I have to go to Peterborough tomorrow after I take my kids home. Pick up my new truck bed cover and not sure on when I'll be back. Another day or you can come for a quick visit here in the evening. Let me know.

In December I got an AT&T Microsoft Lumia 640 from the States for just over 58.00 Canadian. They are STILL on sale at Walmart in the U.S. for 29.99 U.S. or at Walgreens for less, if you can find one. Trouble is it for instore pickup only now. Great phone for surfing, email and it has offline maps for GPS with the 8.1 OS and is supposed to with win 10 too but I haven't upgraded. Another HUGE bonus with AT&T no contract phones like this if you never turn the phone on with their sim in it, you can email them to get a FREE unlock code.

Once the phone is unlocked it will work with just about every provider in Canada...

I then got a nano sim from Petro Canada and got their 15 dollar a month plan that includes 100 minutes anywhere in Canada with unlimited texting and I added 500 mb of data for another 15 a month. No contract and you can collect Petro points for every renewal. Petro Can seems to alternate deals on plans every month of so the other offer I have seen is 200 anywhere anytime minutes with unlimited texting for 20 a month with data at .10 a mb or 100mb for 10.00 or 500mb for 15.00 or 1GB for 30.00. You can set up automatic renewals online or buy vouchers at Petro Can gas stations.

The only drawback to the phone is the lack of apps for some people on the Windows platform, which doesn't bother me as I only occasionally surf the net when the fish aren't biting and check my email. I retired my GPS and point and shoot camera after getting the phone. If you go to the U.S. or have a friend who can pick you up one it is a great deal for a no contract smart phone, that be unlocked for free.

If you already have Windows 8.1 the phone comes with the same OS so the learning curve isn't that steep.

Instructions to unlock the phone for free with the code from AT&T in the link below. Just remember NEVER turn the phone on with the AT&T sim card installed as that will lock it to AT&T's network so you will have to wait 6 months to get a free unlock code. I unlocked 2 phones using the instructions here so I know it works, and the phone will work on Wind, Bell, Rogers, Telus, 7-Eleven and Petro Canada....

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/3u02t3/how_to_unlock_your_att_lumia_640_gophone_united/

Edited by Canuck2fan

No problem Geoff, will hook up later in the week, think I am coming down with a cold, got pretty wet yesterday putting the dock in.

I'm off Friday and working nights all month... *sigh*

But at least I got a crazy deal on a swap. My truck bed toolbox for a quad fold cover plus a few bucks!

new cover.jpg