Kawigamog Lake/Pickeral River

davew3

Smokestacklightnin, I will be staying at Cushnies Outpost. I do not know where on the system they are yet. We are going up the last week of June. I hope the blackflies will be done by then.

I guess my main concern would be hitting any reefs or rocks. I did that before over on the French.

Regards

My buddy used to have a cottage on Dollars lake -other side of ESS Narrows. We used to fish up past Whip O Will Lodge for walleye.Lots of Pike and smallies in the system too.Classic canadian shield lake lots of rock and timber.All species love both but it's still a river and they do move around.

Kerry

Edited by Kerry

I am not familiar with Cushnie's, I think it may be in Dollars Lake. Navigating the system is not too treacherous, most of the shoals are well marked. The only tricky shoal in Dollars that I have come across is the one out from Whip-Poor-Will Lodge (now called Dollars Island Resort). It's marked but does extend past some of the markings just go wide. If you head down the river to Kawigamog just stay in the middle, same with navigating the entire system. There lots to see and when travelling on the river between the lakes stay in the middle, sorry if I am stating the obvious.

The fish will be heading to their summer patterns at the end of June so look for weed beds close to deep water, there are lots of them. One thing about the system is the amount of bait, there are minnow schools everywhere so if the weed bed you are fishing does not have minnows then find another one. If you find one or two with fish on it during the day, come back at dusk.

Enjoy your stay, there is lots of water to explore.

• 3 months later...

Well the time is getting closer. Looks like I will be staying on Smiths Bay. The north end of the system north of of hwy 522.

From what I here I will be searching for large northerns and pickerel for dinner.

Any special spots or sights I should take in while I am there?

Regards